Still not getting better

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbullgirl

I took my chin to the vet last Saturday. I told her what was going on and all she did was give me Baytril, which i was told on here that it wasn't for what i suspected was going on. She has Diarrhea, and it stinks really bad. I suspected that it was a parasite and i even told my vet that. I will be taking her to a different vet. How long does it take for a parasite to effect them really bad? She has been acting herself most of the time until i give her the meds then she pouts for a bit. But shes still drinking water, playing, eating hay but i am not sure about pellets. Any advice? i know i need to see a vet, but it might not be until its next week. I am trying my best to help her!

Baytril doesn't really treat diarrhea and could make it worse. Did the vet tell you why she decided on Baytril? Was it an infection or did she just give it to you? A parasite can drain a chin pretty fast...diarrhea can lead to dehydration very quickly. Get her in as soon as you can and get some fecal tests done.

She just kind of gave it to me. She just told me it could be caused from stress or moving to a new home and that she was going to start her on some antibiotics just in case. This is all a learning process for me. She probably isn't the best vet to go to. She never even said anythign about fecal tests. And my chin is still drinking. She seems to be fine with all of that.

I'd recommend hand feeding her if there is any chance she isn't eating as much as she should. If you do not have critical care on hand you can make a liquid to feed her by mushing up her pellets with some water and a bit of plain pumpkin to help everything stick together. It is very important she eat. Whichever vet you can talk to that knows chins tell them it is an emergency and they may be able to get you in sooner. If you handfeed her that should help make sure food and liquid are in her.

i do think shes drinking. Shes probably eating...she likes to grab one pellet at a time and chew on it then go and play and come back. shes always done that even before the diarrhea started.

Have you been weighing her? You should monitor her weight closely. Also what pellet is she on? Has she done a quick food switch? Any changes in her diet? What treats is she offered? It's possible that it's being caused by something in the environment rather than by an infection or illness. What type of water is she given? You should see a vet as soon as possible.

Did the vet as least do a fecal float? *shakes head* because if not this is why we will not have any antibiotics left to treat our chins, this shot gun approach vets use to treat chins, just throw baytril at them.

Baytril isn't going to treat a parasitic infestation. It's just going to make your chins gut worse. TMZ or Albon would have been a better choice. You need to contact your vet, get a fecal done (as Dawn suggested), and get your chin on the appropriate antibiotics, if she even needs them.

In the meantime, I would be fastidious about keeping the cage clean, launder any fleece products in hot water with bleach, get rid of wood products, etc.

BTW, stinkly poops is one of the signs of Giardia. She really needs that fecal done.

Back