Still losing weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently had a bout of Giardia with 2 of my furbabies. We were given Flagyl by the vet. One of them was very willing to be given meds and hand fed, the other fought us. We made a hand feed paste/gruel of ground up mazuri, lifeline, and a couple drops of dyne with distilled water. We also would give additional dyne mixed with pineapple juice (all natural, no pres., no chems, not concentrate and VERY expensive from a health food store- I have no food processor) and it worked wonders for them gaining the weight back. One of them was super thin before and is back to norm.

Update:

DJ is fairly low-key--he spent much of the day 'nesting' in his litter pan (carefresh filled) and loafing there with his head hanging off the side. He perked up after we got home, though.

Still has some gas issues, so we're giving him a little simethicone after the CC feedings. He's taking to the anise CC much better since we switched to a smaller bore syringe. Takes a bit longer, but if he'll eat it voluntarily that way I have the time to spare. :)

He's now almost 470, from a low of 453. Poop production and look is normal, and we even caught him drinking for the first time yesterday (he might have been drinking before but we just didn't catch it). He's been picking at his pellets and hay for a bit now, but I think he's eating more of them too.

So, I think we've turned the corner here...hopefully we just have to keep up the feedings for a bit longer and he'll be back to his egg-shaped self soon!

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions and advice--we've read about stasis before, but it really is a tough process to go through. Rewarding once you see the little guy doing better though!

Glad to hear that DJ is starting to feel better and returning to his normal little self!!

Update:

DJ has become Lethargic, and is still losing weight :( We tried Force Feeding the Critical Care by burritoing him, but then he freaked, and since he couldn't move much, I assume he was holding his breath, since he began to turn blue. So, I am refraining from burritoing. I know this is the best method of restraint, but I'd rather have a small chinnie than a dead one.

We have also been giving him plain Lifeline twice daily, which he really likes, along with Simethicone gas drops as needed. I really want to mix in the DYNE with the Lifeline, but our vet said not too, since the sugar in it may make the stasis worse.

I don't know what to do anymore. He looks like he is in extreme discomfort. His breathing looks very labored.

I work at a vet's office myself, and I'm considering giving him Periactin. One of the vet's at my office offered to do Acupuncture to see if this would help. Has anyone had any experience with this?

you need to force feed him either the critical care or the crushed up pellets. why not try dipping the tip of the syringe in the dyne to get him to like the taste? you should be getting upwards of 80 cc's into him a day, preferably more. he needs to get his weight up or he will continue to be lethargic.

i dont know what periactin is and i dont know how the acupuncture would help as i am not exactly sure what his diagnosis is. i would be nervous that he would be squirmy and one of the needles would injure him.

Has he been checked for a heart murmur? I had one who went into congestive heart failure and the new symptoms you list-the turning blue when active, the labored breathing and the lethargy are early symptoms.

Ticklechin, to be honest, I'm not sure if he has been checked for a heart murmur. I would think the vet would be able to hear that everytime she checks his heart during his annual checkup. The last few times he has gone to the vet, she did not mention hearing one.

If I were to administer Vit. B complex, do you know the dosage? Also, is it given SQ or IM? I ask because this is something I have access to and can do myself at work.

The vet would not let me give the injection due to injection site complications with Vit B, if done wrong or in the "wrong site" it can be extremely painful and potential for abscesses, that was what I was told.

We just took him in for another checkup.

Good news: His heart looks OK (though a murmur could not be ruled out due to respiratory noise) and he's fully motile, poo looks good.
Bad news: He's full of gas and breathing heavy.

Doc wasn't sure if he has a lung issue and is gulping air with his breathing, or if he was/is full of gas first and this is pressing his diaphragm--which would then be causing the heavy breathing. She didn't want to sedate him unnecessarily while he is having respiratory issues, so the xrays weren't too clear aside from the heart and gas pockets. Little guy has a lot of fight left in him.

So our new treatment schedule is to continue simethicone, tummy massage him, give him plenty of external running time to keep things moving and hopefully pass through the gas. At the same time it was recommended to infuse him with good flora via ground fecal material from one of the other boys and give him a quarter tab of periactin twice a day to encourage eating.

We let him and his cage buddy out to dust and run around the bathroom and he was very active and jumping, even if he sounded like a water cooler every time he straightened up. Oddly, it was his cage buddy who was the reserved one--though he was probably just half-asleep as it was the afternoon.

I'd say he's halfway recovered. Major hurdle is passed; now we just have to figure out what's causing the gas and/or breathing issue and get that dealt with. I'm determined to let this guy get his remaining 15-20 years.

Was he given any gut stimulant drugs like Cisapride or Metoclopromide?

With bloat, I aways use both the reglan and propulsid even if there is no stasis-it moves things along faster to get rid of the gas. I would start using it again.

*sigh* It's been sometime. Time for an update.

ChinDaddy and I took DJ to another vet to see if maybe this vet could find something our regular vet couldn't. As Ticklechin suggested, DJ has a Heart Murmur, Grade 1-2, so it's not so bad. DJ is now on 1/4tab of 12.5mg Lasix twice a day. We switched him from Baytril to TMS 0.3mL Twice a day, and we still give him Simethicone drops 4x a day and Metoclopramide 3x daily.

The good news is, his gut is moving. Bad news, he is still extremely gassy and won't eat. I have tried Cranberry and water, Alfalfa hay, Periactin twice daily-When we try to syringe/force feed Critical care to him, he will hold his breath and turn blue and refuse. I know he needs force feeding, but the fact that he turns cyanotic scares me. He loves Lifeline and DYNE, but I'm honestly not sure if that's enough at this point. I tried mixing the CC with pineapple juice and DYNE, thinking this would entice him, since he seems to love the Lifeline/DYNE mix. Nope.

I'm really frustrated. I don't want to give up on him, but I feel like this situation is not going to improve at all, no matter what I do. Skull xrays show his teeth are fine, and abdomen xrays show his gut is moving, slowly but surely.

Any suggestions you have for an appetite stimulant, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

If lifeline and dyne is what he will eat, feed him that. To cut down on the dyne, just dip the tip of the syringe in dyne and squirt in the lifeline. I have fed lifeline full time long term to two chins, they did fine on it and frankly in my opinion if its that or nothing its not a choice. The only problem I found with lifeline is it does not produce perfect looking poo, but if it means no food you have no choice. My one with heart failure during his last month did the blue face thing when he got upset being fed, I just fed him what he wanted since his short term prognosis was not good.

Tickle, what did you mix the lifeline with? Did you mix it with DYNE, and then dip the syringe into more dyne to get him eating? I'm not sure I understand.

Also, how much did you give, and how often? thanks.

I mix the LL/CC/Dyne and probiotics and feed like that. Maybe you can try mixing it all and see if he will like. My chins seem to enjoy it this way.

Sapphire, I did mix in some CC with the lifeline/dyne mix *just a pinch* It just seemed to little. But I will try that again, thanks.

Sorry I must of missed it. To start of for enticement, you might want to put more Dyne and as he starts taking the mix with no problem you can start reducing it.

Back