Sticky Chin & yogurt

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roni Jasper

I've recently had to start giving one of my chins this pink sticky antibiotic, she still has 8 more days to go on it and it's been a struggle. The problem is that now the fur around her mouth is sticky from the syringe tip slipping out when it's being administered. I've never tried cleaning my chins w/ anything thing other than dust. But since this chin is having a respiratory problem (which is why she's on the meds) I don't think dusting would be a wise choice. Would using a damp wash cloth be problematic? If I can use a damp cloth should I use soap too? And finally, the vet mentioned giving the chins her some yogurt to help her appetite since being on the meds. Has anyone given yogurt? If so, how much and what kind? :thinking: Thanks

You can use an unscented baby wipe to clean under the chin, but most likely it's just going to remain sticky until the illness is over and your chin can get a good roll in the dust. But, the baby wipes do help some at least.

I used to hear of people giving their chins yogurt, but it was for the probiotic properties, rather than to help with appetite. You can buy acidophillus (make sure it's a very high billion count) at Wal-Mart or a health food store. It comes in different forms, and some chins realy like the flavored tablets. Make sure you give it 2 hours on either side of the antibiotic so it is most effective.

Is she off her feed? If she is, she should be getting critical care rather than yogurt to help her keep her weight up to normal. Critical care is a food replacement that is formulated specifically for herbivores to make sure they get the vital nutrients they need while recuperating from an illness or are off their feed. Menagerie on here sells it cheaper than even Oxbow and can get it to you in usually 1-2 days. I keep Critical Care on hand at all times.

You can also try some Lifeline from chocolatechinchillas.com. It works wonders for sick chins, and the love the taste! Definitely get some critical care as well, you should always have a bag of that on hand.

I use babywipes as well. To some extent though, it's just gonna stay sticky and matted until the illness is over... when I had to handfeed one of my chins, he would always get the Critical Care on him, and no matter how well I'd try to clean him, he never became white again until long after he stopped having to be handfed and had ump-teen dust baths...

I've heard of giving yogurt as well, but as Peggy (Tunes) said, for the antibiotic properties, not so much to stimulate appetite. When I first got into chins (and didn't know much yet), I used yogurt once or twice, but now I've found there's a better alternative. As Tunes said, acidophilus can be used... I bought mine at GNC in capsule form, and I just crush it, mix it with a little water, and syringe it into them. You want the highest number of live bacteria possible, in the billions.

As Tunes said, if your chin's not eating because of the antibiotic (or illness, or whyever else), it'd be good to get some critical care to feed. While waiting for that, I've found (I ran out once and had to improvise) that if you soak some chin pellets in water until they're soft, and then throw the whole mush in the blender along with some acidophilus, you can make some ghetto-critical-care...and it works in the time being...

Thank you all soooooooooo much! I'll make sure to call around for the critical care & go the "ghetto-critical-care" :), if I have to get it online.

lol omg i was just browsing the threads regarding yogurt and reading ghetto-critical care just made me crack up! silly images in my head.

anyways, im here about to eat some yogurt myself. would it be ok to give some to gizmo? im not thinking anything big, just a small drop as a treat. its the yogurt with fruit on the bottom, but i havent mixed anything yet (still dunno if its considered "plain).

just a random thought. thanks.

Back