Soon to be new mom to Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tene0524

First of all Hello to everyone.

I am beginning to prepare for our 2 chinchillas that we will be getting soon. Not sure if we will adopt or buy 2 babies from a breeder. I've done lots of research on here and also on online. I want to be prepared as much as possible and make sure our babies are also very spoiled. What I am looking for is as much advice as I can get from current mommys and daddys.

I recieved there Ferret Nation cage today from Ferret.com. Within the next few weeks I will be building there shelves, ledges and fleece things. What foods should the Chinchillas be eatting and how often. Should I put them on a feeding schedule or just continue to fill it up when I notice that it is low? What treats am I allowed to give them and how often? Should I make sure that they have toys all around there cage at all times?

Any advice to me would greatly appreciated! Thank you so much to everyone in advance.

Justene.

You should feed your chinchillas a high quality pellet feed, such as: Mazuri, Oxbow, Tradition, or Purina Rabbit Chow Sho, as well as timothy hay. You can probably give it to them at the same time every day, but you want to give enough of both hay and pellet feed so that they can free feed.
Acceptable treats include: plain cheerios, non-instant oats, as well as sticks of safe wood. There should be threads on these, but I currently can't search them.

Congratulations on your soon to be new chins. I would also free feed and give them fresh pellets, hay and filtered or reverse osmosis water daily. Some chins can get stressed out to new environments so I would let them get acclimated first before giving them treats. I would also limit treats to 3-4 times a week. Another suggestion would be to read the FAQ's in the chin section of the forum. Be sure to post pics when you get them.

Back