Some pictures of my cage setup

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathiva

Kathiva La Diva
Just wanted to share some pictures of my cage set up, hope you guys like it. Most of my cages are 2x2x2, which I like using for 2 o 3 chins, and I have some that are a bit smaller too that I like using just for 2 chins, and I have some runs, 8 of them, which I normally use for maternity or for introductions, these cage runs are not so small though, they are 22 deep by 15 tall and 15 wide, which is not so bad, in the picture here you can see my chin Misty trying to escape from her cage, she is a very curious chin, I just noticed that after I took the picture, I guess I went to feed her and forgot to close the cage door before I took the picture.

The room I have for them, is a new room that I rent for them, so they can have more espace for their things, since my boyfriend never let me have the biggest room in our house :(, so they are more comfortably now as they are not in a basement anymore.

Sorry for the ugly wallpaper, but that's the way the room was :(

SDC14858.JPG

SDC14860.JPG

SDC14872.JPG

There are a few problems with those wheels and they should all be removed. Those wheels are not safe for chins and they are way too small.

I think the point that Alli was trying to make is that the wheels are not safe for chins. The plastic ones are too small and easily destroyed. And the wire ones are also too small and you risk injury as they can get their feet or toes caught in the wires. They should all just be removed and you should invest in larger metal wheels.

ETA: Meanie posted too fast!

oh, ok, thanks, will do, I don't know, I just got them a few wheels so they would be happy, but if they are not good for them, then they are not good. :)

I think the point that Alli was trying to make is that the wheels are not safe for chins. The plastic ones are too small and easily destroyed. And the wire ones are also too small and you risk injury as they can get their feet or toes caught in the wires. They should all just be removed and you should invest in larger metal wheels.

ETA: Meanie posted too fast!

ok, yes, I thought so too, but I wasn't quite sure how to answer her or what she actually meant. Yeah, I'd like to invest in a few, I only have one right now :(

oh, ok, thanks, will do, I don't know, I just got them a few wheels so they would be happy, but if they are not good for them, then they are not good. :)
Kathiva this is basic stuff you should know - plastic, tiny wheels for chinchillas: WTF??
Seriously, have you done any research into basic chinchilla care & housing etc because I have to say, with every post you make, it doesn't seem like you have!

No room in those small cages for a good wheel like a FS or CS, especially with 2 or three chins per cage. And I may be wrong, but I don't think you have wheels in cages with kits, especially since you have those metal wheels with spokes and wire running surfaces, just waiting for a broken leg or strangled kit.

Kathiva this is basic stuff you should know - plastic, tiny wheels for chinchillas: WTF??
Seriously, have you done any research into basic chinchilla care & housing etc because I have to say, with every post you make, it doesn't seem like you have!

oh, that little plastic wheel I bought it a long time, that though in using it for some babies
I don't think is about research, I think that maybe I did the wrong choice in picking those wheels for them, which I will be removing

oh, that little plastic wheel I bought it a long time, that though in using it for some babies
I don't think is about research, I think that maybe I did the wrong choice in picking those wheels for them, which I will be removing
Kits should not have wheels. They need to put all their energy and nutrition into growing not running.

*sigh* I give up. :deadhorse:

No room in those small cages for a good wheel like a FS or CS, especially with 2 or three chins per cage. And I may be wrong, but I don't think you have wheels in cages with kits, especially since you have those metal wheels with spokes and wire running surfaces, just waiting for a broken leg or strangled kit.

No, I don't have any of those wheels with kits,
I do have only one flying saucer, which it is in the purple cage on the right side, which it fits, but it fits just right, and that flying saucer fits just right in the other 2 by 2 cages too and there is space only for a wooden hut in the purple cage, and for the other ones, there is only space for the food dishes, no wood huts, but since the metal wheels fit just right in my cages, what other wheels would you recommend? are the chin spins too big as well? I've never had one to really know

In the first picture, the cage on the bottom right with the red base, the wheel in there is tiny! I can't imagine any chin but a kit would fit in there. Are there kits in that cage? It looks like there's little grey fuzzy things at the bottom of the cage but it's hard to tell.

In my first post I only asked the question because I assumed that you should know that those wheels are not okay, it's posted on this forums many times. And the wire ones can easily take off a tail if it gets stuck in between the cross bars.

Kits should not have wheels. They need to put all their energy and nutrition into growing not running.

ohh geez, you are right, I had it because I was planning in using it when they grew a little older, but I didn't even think of that, oh man, shame on me
will remove it for sure

I don't breed nor have done much reading on kits but even I thought I knew no wheels for kits. You really need to learn basic chin care.

no you're right, I figure that there is still some things that I don't know yet, but also, I should have figured about wheels for kits, that's why I only got one at that time, wasn't too sure about it, but now I know I should not let them use that whell for sure, thanks!

Back