Soft/Sticky Poop??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plstwd

My chinchilla has been having soft/sticky stool. It's not overly soft and sticky but it's sticky enough that when I sweep it up it doesn't roll around. I stopped giving her treats and rose hips. Also some of the stool is sticky, not all of it. Should I keep giving her rose hips for her vitamin c? And any home remedies to get rid of the softness and stickiness? Her personality is fine, she doesn't act sick.

Soft sticky poop can be a sign of an illness or parasite. Chins hide illness until they physically can't anymore, and are at death's door pretty much, so not acting sick doesn't mean not sick. I would stop all treats including the rose hips, the hay and pellets should have the nutrients the chins needs, they don't need the vitamin C. To firm up poop you can also try pulling pellets and just giving hay for a day or two (some people have had luck with that, others not so much, but chins can live off hay alone so it wont hurt). But if it doesn't improve a vet visit is needed. The vet will need to do tests on the poop to know what the problem is, there is no way to tell just by looking at it whether you have a virus, bacteria or parasite problem and each require a different treatment.

The fact that you are having a possible peeing issue (you mentioned in another post) and a poop issue I would take the chin into the vet anyway as soon as possible, as in like tomorrow morning to get checked out. It sounds like something serious could be going wrong.

Does the poo stink? If so no home remedy, its a sign of infection and the chin needs a vet. If it does not stink, you can try some pet pectillin for a couple of days-its in the dog/cat digestive section of petco/petsmart. Give a 1/4 dropper full twice a day for a couple of days and see if it clears, if not vet visit.

The pee thing was fixed. She peed two times once I posted this. I changed her diet to all hay. How long should I keep doing it?

The pee thing was fixed. She peed two times once I posted this. I changed her diet to all hay. How long should I keep doing it?

I would only go a day or two, of hay only, and if no improvement is seen go to the vet. Since it's already been a couple days since the last post that means take the chin to the vet now if there is still a problem.

The idea of only giving hay is that you are cutting out the sugar found in pellets and treats (which bad gut bacteria feed on) and increasing the fiber, that should help allow the gut bacteria to start to normalize. That is assuming the issue is just a simple imbalance in the good to bad bacteria (like what happens if you eat too much junk food) which should only take a day or so to fix. The other things I listed, the parasites or illness (viral or bacterial) are not going to be fixed by just increasing fiber, it requires medication.

Back