Soft Poop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarencethm

Hi guys, I just got my chin from a breeder last night. He seems active and has been real fun to watch.

However, hes been pooping soft, shiny wet poop ever since I've gotten him even though Ive given him a strictly hay diet at the moment.

I've asked the breeder and he says that its normal for chin to poop like that when its in a new environment or when its stress.

Ill like to check with you guys before i send him to a vet.

the breeder is right. Stress can cause soft poos. Keep up with the hay only diet for a couple of days. If it does not clear up in that amount of time, take the chin to the vet to be checked for parasites.

If you have access to it, also try plain shredding wheat. That helps bind everything up.

If the poo does not smell, is not hollow or look like swiss cheese, if there are no other symptoms, I like to use pet pectillin to speed up the process-.3ml twice a day clears it up most of the time in a day or so.

Hi thanks for all the help guys.

His poo is still soft but im been feeding him hay only for the past day, hopefully he gets better.

i was just wondering though, the wet poo is getting stuck everywhere, his wood house, ledges and everything.

Whats the best way to get rid of em?

A scrub brush and elbow grease. You can use warm water and vinegar on the wood. For my ceramic stuff I use antibacterial dish soap and make sure to rinse well. Don't use soap on the wood though, it could soak in and then seep out later. Hopefully his poo hardens up for you soon.

Trust me...go to the store and buy some shreaded wheat. Then go to your local vitamin store and buy some activated charcoal and acidophilas tablet (make sure you fridge them). Its not expensive. Your chin is very stressed out right now, kinda like if you have a stomach ache when you are scared or nervous. The wheat will help harden his poo. The charcoal and acidophilas will help settle his tummy. Always have this stuff on hand.

What kind of hay are you feeding him? Alfalfa hay can actually cause soft poops (but man do they love it), if you are not already using Timothy I would make the change.

Thanks for the advice.

I went to the pet store and all they had was dog pectillin and acidophilas tablets, so i got him probiotics 10 million/cu. I fed it twice daily for the next two days and it's FINALLY cleared up! Im so happy. 6 days of pure scrubbing the boards and hairdrying them dry while having school is no joke.

Im taking his stools to the vet today to be doubly sure. Hopefully, it is as you guys say just the chin having jitters.

Again, thanks for the help :D

I never had luck with the shredded wheat either. I tried giving them the first day we dealt with Squishy Poos and freaked out because their pooping completely stopped. So we got rid of them altogether

Hi guys omg, ive reintroduced oxbow pellets to him and seems like his soft poo came back! any advice for this :O

Are you giving anything else to this animal? Any tidbit things? Supplements?
Many of these can be too rich for the animal.

If so, stop everything but your hay and give plain wheat bran. Wheat bran works as a bulk and/or also absorbs - should straigten out the gut.

You may get it at a health food store - people grade - keep extra refrigerated.

We have not fed a supplement since 2000 and our animals do quite well. Many people do not realize that too rich a supplement and too much of it can unbalance their diet.

If you feel you must feed a supplement - use equal parts of wheat bran and rolled oats (from the grocery store if you don't need large amounts) -and only 1/2 teaspoon daily.

Another gut regulator is giving yogurt. We found they liked the strawberry flavor and would give from an eyedropper or tip of spoon - a little each day for several days.

Barbara

http://www.shootschinchilla.com

Thanks for the advice.

I went to the pet store and all they had was dog pectillin and acidophilas tablets, so i got him probiotics 10 million/cu. I fed it twice daily for the next two days and it's FINALLY cleared up! Im so happy. 6 days of pure scrubbing the boards and hairdrying them dry while having school is no joke.

Im taking his stools to the vet today to be doubly sure. Hopefully, it is as you guys say just the chin having jitters.

Again, thanks for the help :D

Its says dogs and cats but its fine for chinchillas, its kaolin and pectin, those are the ingrediants you are looking for if the brand was other than ths link.

http://www.petco.com/product/4145/L...rrhea-Medication-for-Dogs-Cats-And-Birds.aspx

Hi guys omg, ive reintroduced oxbow pellets to him and seems like his soft poo came back! any advice for this :O

Insufficient fiber intake can lead to soft droppings (diets low in fiber decrease peristalsis, allowing more time for bacteria to proliferate). Hay provides long-stem fiber chins need. If your chin is not eating much hay when fed free-choice Oxbow pellets, you may consider limiting pellets. Also, chins are likely to eat more hay when offered various types of hay.

I am going to take some of this advice, we recently took back in two chins, and they were sadly being fed, M&Ms, marshmallows, cereal, everything that is bad for them. They have very soft and shiny poo. We have had them for about a week now, and the poo has lost some of its wet look, but it is still a bit squishy. I have put them on a good pellet diet and tons of both cubed and loose hay. They have had a few rolled oats but only once.

I would not give treats of any type to chins who are having GI issues. Wait until they are having normal stools and have been stable for at least a week before giving any treats

We pulled everything but hay and water for two weeks when we had this issue. Cleared up the poos and they haven't come back. Also this method helped increase their taste for hay, to where now it's the main staple in their diet. I highly recommend trying this method.

I would recomend the charcoal from toast to help with her business.
when my girl got soft poo, I was told by multiple vets and breeders to burn a piece of white toast until you couldnt tell it was toast and then scrape off the charcoal and give it to her with her timothy hay.

Back