Soft Claws

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Up_Sunshine

Chinnie Paparazzi
Recently I was visiting a friend who's roommates have a cat and were about to declaw and I mentioned the Soft Claws as an alternative. She said she'd ask her vet; the vet claimed that Soft Claws weren't a good product because they fell off often and were expensive over time and thus they went ahead with the declawing.
Honestly, I don't feel the vet was being entirely honest, but of course, I don't currently have a cat.

So for those who actually have cats and use Soft Claws, what are your experiences?:

Do the claws fall off easily/get chewed off?
Does it affect your cat's walking or jumping?
Do things like cat litter get stuck inside the caps?
Do you consider them to be more/less/about the same sanitary?
How does your cat handle the application/trimming?

I'm really interested in these and would love other's opinions.
All photos were courtesy of the Soft Claws Gallery. I just couldn't resist some cute kitty photos!
Bones.jpg
Oie_and_Oz.jpg
Maui.jpg
Daisy.jpg

I've always had cats and so far have always had front-declawed cats...but I can honestly say I will never declaw a cat again. I regretted doing it on my last kitty and my mom's newest kitten had SO many problems from the surgery. Many vets won't do it anymore because so many people see it as unethical and inhumane. Even most shelters and rescues will not adopt cats to people who admit their plans to declaw a cat. Unfortunately, most pet owners don't realize that declawing a cat is actually amputating half of every "finger". It's mutilating and extremely painful, so as far as I'm concerned, ANY alternative is a step in the right direction. I haven't used the Soft Claws personally, and they would definitely get pricey, but it would be worth it anyway to leave my kitty's feet intact.

I'm curious to see other responses. I don't know anyone who uses them but in this area declawing is still quite common.

We have a few clients that use them and I haven't heard any complaints. They say when the soft paws fall off due to the natural shedding of claws that cats do, they are easily vacuumed or swept up and not a nuisance.

Personally, I just clip my cats nails. People try to tell me how difficult nail trimming a cat is, but they are 100% easier than a yelping, biting, scratching dog that is likely to urinate and defecate on you or the table because someone, somewhere down the road clipped the quick on one of their nails. My cats get grabbed about every two weeks and the nails get clipped with regular nail clippers. It's horribly easy and my kitties don't have to get declawed. We also provide them with plenty of scratching surfaces of their own which prevents them from clawing on our furniture or carpet.

We tried them on our cat after she clawed up our brand new leather sofa. They come in a pack of 20, I believe, so you have two full sets. You have to trim the nail first, then squeeze a drop of glue into the cap, then push it onto the cat's nail. Our cat Tiny would never sit still for more than two or three nails. So it wasn't a difficult process, just a bit time consuming. Tiny would shake her paws and bite at the caps once they were on, but after a half an hour or so, she'd give up and ignore them. Other than the application process, they didn't seem to bother her.

We haven't kept up with them because they don't all fall off at the same time... so you have to just keep checking to see if any need replacing. Really not a big issue for most people, but I'm pretty lazy, and it was just one more thing to do. Since our couches are already damaged, we've gone Tabitha's route and just trimmed her nails occasionally. Unfortunately, she refuses to use any sort of traditional kitty scratching post. Why use that when you have a leather sofa set at your disposal?

Here is Princess Tiny, arguably the most pampered member of our household:
"Who, Me?"
katesphone2138.jpg

Aww, Tiny is gorgeous!!

I have to admit I was considering the claw caps for my newest kitty, however, I thought they looked kind of ridiculous. Also he is a HUGE squirmer, it's a hard task every other week or so having the bf hold him down while I clip his nails. Anything more high maintenance than that would be almost impossible.
Our older cat is front declawed (as was my first kitty who is no longer with us) and they used a newer procedure that did not amputate the "finger". I could see a huge difference in her paws as compared to my first kitty who had tiny feet from declawing almost 20 years ago. I would not declaw a cat any more, unless the decision was declaw or get rid of cat. Some apartments I have heard, require declawed cats. However, I do not regret the decision to declaw our older kitty, as she has always been a biter (to me, not the bf) and used to scratch me often. We have a love/hate relationship, as in I love her but she hates me!

iv used thesse on my cat for several years. I bought them from softpaws.com They come in a pack of 40 for like $20. There easy to use. And if you find them when they pop off you can just glue them back on.

I have never used Soft Paws on my cats but as a vet tech have applied them to many cats. The key is to get the proper fit, make sure you clip the nails before application, and get them seated correctly. A cat cannot retract their claws once they are applied and I have always wondered how that might feel to cat but I am sure much less uncomfortable then declawing. I would think it might affect their walking and jumping some as cats naturally don’t do this with their claws out. However I am sure it does not affect them to much or the product would not sell. I have never seen litter get stuck in the caps and would think that if applied properly with the glue it should not be a problem. They might be a little less sanitary as the claws will be out when the cat is in litter box but would think the cat would groom icky stuff off or you can do this for them. Most cats seem to tolerate application but some do hate having their nails trimmed and restrained for long…if you break up time spent when applying it should help this. Most cats need to have reapplication of the caps about every 4 wks when they fall off or nail grows/sheds. Cost wise if I remember correctly a set costs $10-$20 so that is about 120.00 or more yr plus if you have a vet apply them then there is that cost to. Over time declawing is less expensive so it really is a matter of if you want the cat to endure the pain of the procedure.

I have never used Soft Paws on my cats but as a vet tech have applied them to many cats. The key is to get the proper fit, make sure you clip the nails before application, and get them seated correctly. A cat cannot retract their claws once they are applied and I have always wondered how that might feel to cat but I am sure much less uncomfortable then declawing. I would think it might affect their walking and jumping some as cats naturally don’t do this with their claws out. However I am sure it does not affect them to much or the product would not sell. I have never seen litter get stuck in the caps and would think that if applied properly with the glue it should not be a problem. They might be a little less sanitary as the claws will be out when the cat is in litter box but would think the cat would groom icky stuff off or you can do this for them. Most cats seem to tolerate application but some do hate having their nails trimmed and restrained for long…if you break up time spent when applying it should help this. Most cats need to have reapplication of the caps about every 4 wks when they fall off or nail grows/sheds. Cost wise if I remember correctly a set costs $10-$20 so that is about 120.00 or more yr plus if you have a vet apply them then there is that cost to. Over time declawing is less expensive so it really is a matter of if you want the cat to endure the pain of the procedure.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was curious about- the extended claws and how it affects the cat. I suppose it'd be uncomfortable at first, but they'd get used to it. Are there any cons to having the nail extended all the time? Would that stretch the ligaments (I'm thinking correctly that that's what holds the nails in, right? or is it tendons? anatomy was a long while back for me) or anything?

It is tendon that extends the nail. I would think over time having the nails extended would put stress on the tendon. I really dont have any idea what the cons are to having the nails extended for a long time or if it is a concern with soft paws. Good question.

I dont have cats but personally if i had to clip them to get the soft paws on, why not just clip them?? it seems that after clipping the nails to get the soft paws on, the clipping renders the the soft paw useless except for asthestics.

I think that if you are going to own a cat, you should understand they have the natural urge to do what they do. I think declawing is unethical, and I dont think its right to put these soft claws or whatever on. Its almost like complaining a chin poops too much and trying to figure out a way to stop what bothers you.

Thats just my point of view though. I have 2 cats, and a mansion of a cat scratcher so they dont scratch the furniture. :)

I dont have cats but personally if i had to clip them to get the soft paws on, why not just clip them?? it seems that after clipping the nails to get the soft paws on, the clipping renders the the soft paw useless except for asthestics.

My kitty's claws are still sharp enough to inflict damage after trimming. The caps do make a big difference.

Emily, some cats will not use cat scratching posts. You are lucky that yours do.

I realize that...I just dont think its natural or fair to the cat.

If you can, please convince your roommate to take a few minutes and read through this article

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/declawing-and-science/

Coming from someone who has a declawed cat (my sister-in-law "dumped" him on me because he bites and lunges at her and her fiance), declawing is NOT worth it. The poor thing spends his life laying down whenever he can, does not jump anywhere, will rarely run to play with my other kittens, and he clearly waddles in discomfort.

He does infact bite, and hard at that but I've learned to leave him be, let him do his own thing and he is an angel. He will come up to me to cuddle and give me love.

That being said, if I could give him his claws back, I would in a heart beat. A lot of cats are not dependent on human interaction and companionship like dogs, so why force it on them and put them in a situation to defend themselves?

Totally not directed at anyone, just a bit of info. :)

If you can, please convince your roommate to take a few minutes and read through this article

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/declawing-and-science/

Coming from someone who has a declawed cat (my sister-in-law "dumped" him on me because he bites and lunges at her and her fiance), declawing is NOT worth it. The poor thing spends his life laying down whenever he can, does not jump anywhere, will rarely run to play with my other kittens, and he clearly waddles in discomfort.

He does infact bite, and hard at that but I've learned to leave him be, let him do his own thing and he is an angel. He will come up to me to cuddle and give me love.

That being said, if I could give him his claws back, I would in a heart beat. A lot of cats are not dependent on human interaction and companionship like dogs, so why force it on them and put them in a situation to defend themselves?

Totally not directed at anyone, just a bit of info. :)

I'm thinking this was directed at me, but it isn't my roommate. It's a friend's roommate and they already declawed her (the cat). They already had the appointment set up when I tried to talk them out of it with the Soft Paws option, and that was just a couple days before I left the country. When I returned it had been done. I didn't really mean to start a debate on how in/humane declawing or Soft Paws are, but sometimes threads go in places you don't expect.

Oh, sorry I didn't read correctly that it was your friends roommate. I didn't "direct" the information I shared about my sister in law's kitten at you, I was passing on the article for you to show your friends roommate.

Also, I don't think this was turning into a debate at all.

Sad to hear that they went along with the declawing, though.

So was I. I didn't meant the in/humane debate directed at you specifically. Just at the whole thread and for future comments. I often miss having a cat and I'm seriously concerned about predator instinct with my boys, so want to know exactly what my plans are for when I get a new fuzzball. That's far away though. I think if I brought home a cat the husband would be furious.
;)

Aww, lucky for me my fiancé loves the butthead kitties as much as I do, LOL. We have 4 that are a year and under. Needless to say, we have a lot of patience. :)

Back