So worried... Tell my mom no. aka: Meet Ollie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalandra

Guys! Guys! I need your help! I was sitting here with my mom, when my nose started to seriously twitch. There was a very strange smell in the room. I looked around a lot and then I saw the source of the smell. Mom has brought the quarantine cage and spare space heater up from the basement.

I asked mom if she was giving stuff away. She says no, and tells me there is a new kid coming. She told me not to worry about it because I won't be able to play with him.

But I'm worried. My nose is all twitchy and I keep looking out of my bag at the cage.

She says I don't have to share any of my things, but I gave her my mad-worried look anyway.

picture.php

(Ignore the poop on my feet, I stepped in some to show her how upset I was about this. But secretly I just wanted to go play in the water.)

But she no listen, she says its happening. If he tries to take my things, I'm going to bite him on his hiney.

- Tylda

Mom says his owner went away to school and her dad is taking care of him. Dad told my mom that he huffs and puffs a lot and always has. Mom tried to give the guy some advice on how to better interact with him, but he thinks the boy would be better off with an experienced owner who can spend more time with him. So mom agreed that he could join us.

Mom says he's two, so I'll still be her big baby. We don't need another huffing, puffing hedgehog. I do my best to ensure there is plenty of that going on around here.

I'll let you know more later after mom gets him and I can talk to her more about him.

Don't worry Tylda, you are still queen of the castle, I'm sure of it. Just keep giving your mom the "looks" so you keep getting extra special time from her ;)).

Hi Tylda,

It is okay for your Mom to bring a new boy in the house. I know. Once upon a time, I was that new boy. In fact, two days from now, according to a calendar, is the day my Mommy and I first met. That was two years ago. We went on a little adventure with some other hedgies for a day. Some of them were girls and some of them were boys! Then Mommy brought me to my forever home.

There was a big girl there. Her name was Satin. We didn't play together. And I got new things that were all mine. I did get Satin's hedgiebags. She only used them when she was a little baby. Then she didn't want them anymore. She liked to sleep under her liner. So Mommy gave them to me. I'm sure your Mom will not give away your things unless you tell her you don't want them anymore.

Mommy had enough love for me. And she had enough love for Satin. Your Mom will have enough love for you, Tula, and the new boy. I think more just gets added on; it is not a fixed sum that gets divided up.

It is going to be okay Tylda. I would not lie to you.

-Tex

Thanks Tex, I still worry, but things seem to be ok. My cuddle times haven't been interrupted and I think I have all my stuff, but I am missing one of my pom-pom toys. I need to question mom about its whereabouts.

Mom says his name is Ollie and I hear him snuffling at her all the time. She says he is quite a defensive boy. Mom tells me he has two cute pinto spots that are connected by a tiny white stripe on his hiney. She says it looks like earmuffs. I think they may be a target for me to bite. She tells me I won't get that chance though... hrmph

Mom took a video of him, and copied a couple of images form it to the forum. She says 99% of the time he looks like this... See his white spot?

picture.php

But last night he uncurled on his own and started to look around. She thinks he will come out of his shell quickly and learn that this place is good.

picture.php

Do you see the mealworm? Mom gave him my mealies! I knew she was sharing my stuff! And he didn't even eat it! I will stomp my feet at her later for that.

-Tylda

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjhhhh
Ugh; I better let Mommy type for me again. Those keys are so far apart.

It can be scary in a new home. I bet he is scared. Do you still feel scared sometimes too?

Maybe it is good to share a little. But your Mom should have asked you first. Good idea to stomp at her if she didn't. I will *sigh* at her for you.

-Tex

I'm not scared! I'm a big girl now. Monday I turn 8 months old. I'm also very hungry all the time here lately. I was eating about 13 grams of food a day, and the last 3 nights I've been eating 18 grams again, like I did the last time I had a growing spurt. I feel all funny and mom says I'm out of sorts (*hmmph stomp* I don't know what she is talking about). The scale says I've put on weight again, I'm up to 574 grams now! Mom says she didn't think 8 month old hedgehogs would grow a lot more, but she thinks I am growing again.

I'm a big girl, brave girl, and a mighty fighter. I do worry over my stuff, but I've been here long enough that I don't think this human is going to send me away like the others did.

I asked mom about Ollie last night, she says he didn't eat very well the last couple of days. I told him last night to eat better, and he did. It made mom happy.

He also uncurled and laid down on mom's chest last night. Laying on mom's chest always makes me feel better too. He still huffed at everything, and sometimes he huffed because he moved! But mom thinks he felt a little more comfortable last night.

Ollie has been doing really well, he is coming out of his quill ball and adventuring some. He went to visit our doctor today and even explored a little while there. He also told everyone off by huffing at anyone who walked in the room.

Mom said Ollie has had a moist nose since coming here. Doc said he thought it was coming from his mouth. So they sedated Ollie and found that Ollie had a string wrapped around his tooth! It was hard to get off, but doc removed it. Doc said he had all his teeth and they look like healthy teeth. Ollie is a little underweight, doc says he needs to eat more of our good food. They even stole his nails, cleaned his ears and stole some of his poop (what is it with humans and poop).

Doc told Ollie he didn't need to huff and puff so much. He is in a good place now and has nothing to worry about. Its time to enjoy the good life.

Ollie is eating better, but still doesn't want to trust the food we eat. I keep telling him that's fine, more for me. But mom says he should eat our food as it is better food and will help him gain weight. Mom told me that she bought new bags of food yesterday so we have plenty and I shouldn't worry about running out.

- Tylda

Tylda,

You are doing a very good job at watching over Ollie.

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to have a string wrapped around your tooth. Can you?

Mommy clipped my nails today. She did a good job so I didn't have to tell her to go fuff off this time. She did a good job last time too.

Mommy got me two new bags of food too. I do not like it as much as before, so I'm leaving a little bit in my dish every night. I think Satin was right. The x's are better.

I have seen this doc too. He is a good boy. Last time, I saw the girl though. She seemed nice. Have you met the boy and girl doctors?

-Tex

Ollie has discovered the "joys of bag". He had been hiding under his liners every morning, but today he was snuggled in his snuggle bag. He likes it a lot too. He even stretched out in it while on mom's chest. She wasn't allowed to move, but he looked comfy.

He also was running around his cage last night with his quills all the way down and didn't get scared when mom talked to him. Usually any noise at all and he was clicking at her again. He just looked up at her and went on about his business. She stood, staring at him with a big smile on her face. He was a quilly ball again this morning when she checked on him. But uncurled when she offered him his bag again.

Tylda,

I know you were nervous about Ollie coming to live with you. I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well, and that you're adjusting too. :)

Mom says I should give an update, I would rather just sleep right now. Mom talked to me last night about Ollie. She says in about a week and a half he gets to move into our room. She asked if it would be ok if he lives in the lower condo of my ferret nation. I told her I guess, but he better not disturb me.

Ollie is still quite a huffying ball of quills. He is uncurling for mom quicker and starting to explore more while on her lap. He always keeps his quills up and huffs at any movement. The space heater in his room clicked on last night and he huffed at it!

He is brave though. Once he starts exploring he keeps his quills up, but becomes a bit more "bossy." If he comes across a barrier that is blocking his way, like mom's hand, he will challenge it. He will try to push it out of his way, go under it, or if that doesn't work he will "pop" and quill her hand! Mom doesn't move though.

Much to our dismay, our quills really have no effect on her. Its like she doesn't even feel them anymore. Instead she just continues to block his way, and after a few good pops at her hand, Ollie will look up at her with a very confused look.

We think Ollie has started to realize that mom isn't new to this hedgehog stuff.

Now I'm going back to bed. I've been out of sorts lately. I am agitated. Mom says my weight is increasing again and it looks like I might be growing as my sides are thinner looking again. The last time I had a growing spurt I had a hard time getting comfortable and was out of sorts then too. It only lasted a few days, so I hope mom is right and I'm just growing and will feel better in a couple more days.

- Tylda

Tylda,

I think it will be better when Ollie moves near you! Then you can boss him around and tell him what to do because you are the big sister. I hope he doesn't do any stomping or huffing when you are trying to sleep. It sounds like you need more rest.

I can't imagine having a string wrapped in my mouth. So glad you found it before any problems or infections. I enjoy hearing all about you Hiss Hogs (that was the name we gave our hoggie) I loved how if she didn't get you the first time, she popped to make sure you got poked

Thought I would update this. If you have read the for smhufflepuff from tylda thread you will know that Ollie has been improving over the last few months. He is still very defensive, and can be a challenge to work with. But he is learning that some things are ok, and he has quite a funny little personality.

He recently discovered watermelon and loves it. So much so that now instead of immediately looking for a place to hide when put back in his cage at night, he goes and checks out the food bowls. Even on nights he doesn't have watermelon he has been caught eating kibble while I am moving around the room. This has been a major accomplishment for him. Especially considering he used to scare himself.

Attached is a picture from tonight.

Attachments

• ollie-7512.jpg
    ollie-7512.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 16
Back