So now that its getting cooler....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookiFace1

I have abandoned all of the other sites I used to use and am putting my entire faith in these forums! So now that Ive wiped my chin slate clean I need to know: Now that its finally getting cool out here in Bermuda, is it true that they need little snuggle areas of fluff? I had read and heard from the pet store (where they sell this yellow, something like cotton fluff stuff) that when it gets cool chins like to create a little cuddle area of fluff and warm snuggly things so keep them from getting too cold. 1-what is too cold? and 2- what should I buy/get/do to make her more comfortable during these winter months? it doesnt get much cooler than low 50's and right now its high/mid 60's. This is bermuda so unfortunately we dont have heaters and I just want to make sure my baby is comfortable :)

I wouldn't use the "fluff". I would be worried about it getting eaten.

I'd suggest a fleece hammock or hanging house that would keep them warm instead. Mid 60s is the perfect temperature for them, so I wouldn't worry about them getting cold yet.

Last edited:
it doesnt get much cooler than low 50's and right now its high/mid 60's. This is bermuda so unfortunately we dont have heaters and I just want to make sure my baby is comfortable :)

Most chins thrive in the low-60's. If you want to get him something to snuggle, you can get him a fleece pillow, but I have never seen mine nest and my apartment is around 60 degrees.

312745_10150327245412399_656947398_8435287_1536785815_n.jpg

So would this cube be enough?

I would suggest a fleece hanging house instead. If your chin eats the fabric that one's made out of, the fibers would unravel and get tangled up in their digestive system or get wrapped around toes, legs, or feet. Fleece would be much better.

Also, I'm not sure about those hanging toys. The wood pieces are ok, but the white strings are a potential hazard.

I have one that gets very cold under 68 degrees, he has a fleece house with a "sleeping bag" in it, I find him inside the folded in half fleece blanked wrapped up like a burrito.

:) its soo funny you mentioned that! Thats an old picture and I was paranoid of her lunging for them and breaking something so now I have them laying on her little perch :) Shes had the cube for about.. 4 months now (had to think about it) and it seems to be the one thing she isnt interested in eating :) but I have been feeling more inclined to start putting some fleece in her cage so I just make take this opportunity to do so :)

Do you have a space heater you can buy for super cold nights? It's not very expensive. My room temp for my chins in winter is about 63 and they do just fine. Btw that picture is super adorable.

=D TY :) and i will make sure to go to town tommorrow (yes... where I live we "go to town" not to walmart.. LOLOL) and see what space heaters they have..

I have a side question though.. what should the humidity level be in my house for Sook and if its too high how can I rectify that?

=D TY :) and i will make sure to go to town tommorrow (yes... where I live we "go to town" not to walmart.. LOLOL) and see what space heaters they have..

I have a side question though.. what should the humidity level be in my house for Sook and if its too high how can I rectify that?

to get the humidity out you can get a dehumidifer...they have ones you can empty or ones that have a hose they can run 50-200 USD....but you can also pick them up cheaper used ..chins wont to good at all with the humidity

this is what a dehumidifer is
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=158046&catid=185739&aid=338666&aparam=158046

i love that picture!! i wish my boys would use...well...ANYTHING hanging...but they won't. so cute. guess we'll just stick with our fleece pillows. heh

Back