Smaller poops, does this look normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy555

International Luffa Mogul
I'm a new chinmom so I may be overreacting but I have two boys that are almost 5 months and I noticed poops that are at least half the size they were. I cant think what could be causing this.

They eat Oxbow pellets, lots of hay, treats are oat tops and a shredded wheat at playtime. Two nights ago Fivel threw a tantrum when I was cleaning their cage and we had a cute game of me scooping him away from the open doors as I worked, he bounced around and was being a brat but after I was done and they got new chew sticks he settled down. Yesterday he was grumpy and didnt want to have a dust bath so it makes me think it's him and not his brother.

Teeth must be fine because they eat and chew, there's no barking or crying, I saw Fivel pee (not in the litter dish of course!) and he is acting fine. But I decided to give them a close look and when I was holding Fivel he didnt let out a poop and I'm wondering if he looks swollen?

Thanks for reading my craziness, and pardon the little chinny bits.

Attachments

• Picture 1341.jpg
    Picture 1341.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 105
The pic looks normal.

Smaller poops could mean constipation. Have you checked to make sure their water bottle is working correctly? Is he eating less hay than normal? Try separating them so you can figure out who is having the smaller poos.

I've seen them both eating and they are active as usual. This morning there were poops but still very small. I've attached a picture. I picked up some baby gas drops and have ordered Lifeline and Critical Care just in case.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 68
Water bottle is working. I cleaned their cage again to get a clean slate. I gave them lots of hay and handed them oat tops and they destroyed them as usual. I'll keep checking in, but if it doesnt seem to be an emergency then I'll go to work and pick up more supplies on my way home.:confused:

Are both poops fresh? If not, the one producing the smaller poops could be slightly dehydrated or he's not pushing through enough roughage. Keep monitoring the poop.

let them out individually in playtime until they each produce poop. that way you can determine whose is smaller.

i do notice there is "shrinkage" if the poop is not fresh. the air seems to harden them. so if you are sitting there, you are sure to get a fresh one.

Sorry, to clarify, they're all tiny poops this morning. So it must be both of them? The normal poop I swept up from behind their cage so they're both dried examples. I have some sweet potato, squash, and apple baby food I could try giving to them in the meantime? Or should I seek out pumpkin puree instead to mix with pellet dust? I've also read acidophilus on here, it that something I should try? I know sometimes poop sizes fluctuate but I am getting all worked up and dont know if there is more I can do to help them out or if this warrants a trip to the vet?

Pure pumpkin puree is good, so is the acidophillus. You can crush up pellets, I used a coffee grinder that I have set aside just for animal stuff. Stay away from the baby food as it has sugar and other things added.

I would also get each of them out for a separate playtime so you can see what each of them is producing.

Are they only producing small droppings during the day? I know chinchillas produce cecotropes during the day, which are smaller than their normal feces at night. They eat cecotropes so they can redigest the protein in them.

I have no idea what's normal for your chins, so I don't know if they are passing smaller poos, but it's a possibility you're seeing the cecotropes. So it all depends on whether or not the size has changed or you're just noticing the small cecotropes. You can do what others have suggested to be safe, as none of it is really dangerous (acidophilus etc) and make sure to monitor them.

Thanks, I really appreciate all of the help and the knowledge this forum has. I had cleaned their cage before bed last night, and all of the poops in the cage this morning were the teeny ones they had made during the night. The normal size one in my picture was behind their cage from maybe the beginning of the week. On my lunch break I picked up a can of pumpkin puree and some Acidophillus (Buy one get one free at Walgreens!) so I'll be ready for some attempts when I get home.

They've continued to have tiny poops, but more each day it seems. More poop is good poop, right? I never thought I would care so much about poop!

Their activity level is still normal and I let them have some pumpkin puree to get things moving. I also added a little apple cider vinegar to their water bottle to stimulate their appetite. I'm trying everything I can think of, thanks for all the advice!

You have acidophilus powder, mix some in to a slurry of ground (in a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle) up pellets, put in a syringe and feed them as much as they will accept (usually 10-15cc) to try to get the GI going and prevent GI stasis. Also, you could try gentle belly massage until they poop. I also tried something someone on here mentioned, which is to put rice grains in a sock (about a cup), tie off the sock, microwave it til its comfortably warm, and put it on the chin's belly, for 5-10 minutes and then massage. Switch over to the Critical Care and Lifeline mix when you get it in. The above helped one of my boys when I noticed he had these tiny rice poops. Keep us posted!

With lots of belly rubs I was feeding them the mix with pumpkin and probiotic, after playtime last night I was thrilled to see all of the poops on their blanket. Almost normal and much less dry and teeny. They were in higher spirits and were bouncing around the cage.

The Lifeline and Critical Care arrived today, the Lifeline smells so good and you can really smell the oregano. I gave them that with a little honey per the directions. I'll try the Critical Care tonight but I think they're on the mend. Fingers crossed! Thank you everyone for all of the input!

Good to hear....definitely sounds like it was approaching GI stasis. I forgot to mention, if you have a stethescope, or put your ear up to the chins belly (hopefully it doesn't scratch you in the meantime) and listen for a percolating sound. Thats what you want to hear. No sound...bad. I actually mix about a teaspoon or two of Critical Care and a level scoop or Lifeline, and about a third capsule of acidophilus each serving. Keep the handfeedings going. The chins should recognize and make the connection between the slurry and them feeling better and make it easier to feed them. Lots of poop good, now for more moist (I hate that word)! It's tiring, but seeing their improvement is worth it!

:thumbsup:

I got the Apple Banana flavored Critical Care and they just loved it, ate it right up! That was so much easier! I am so glad to have this forum as a resource.

Back