Sleeping on side??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can be a sign of being overheated, what is the temp and humidity in her room? Otherwise, they can just randomly decide to sleep on their side...does she jump up when you touch her?

It stays between 72/75. Yes she does jump when I wake her up but not when she is awake. I was reading that they do that sometimes when pregnant but she would have got pregnant at the ladies house where I got her. Because I have no males.

Then can do it when they are pregnant, hot, or just because they feel like it. If she is otherwise acting normal, her poo and urine is normal and she is eating and drinking fine, that I would not worry. How long have you had her? How old is she?

I have had her three weeks and she is about to be 5 months. But the lady had her in the cage with dad because the female chinchilla had a litter. She said she was to young to get pregnant.

She is not too young to get pregnant, they can get pregant at 9 weeks. I bet she is pregnant. I would get a baby safe cage (1/2" spacing or less, solid bottom) goats milk, syringes without the needles, baby gas drops, and read all about breeding here on the forum.

Wow, I have no clue what to do! I will read the breeding section. I really don't know what to do. Can she take care of most of it herself?

She could just be sleeping on her side because she wanted to too. There is a chance she is pregnant and if she is then there is nothing to do but research and try to be prepared. But no need to panic. I have males that like to sleep on their side as well as females who aren't pregnant it may be nothing.

She should be able to, 95% of the time everything is fine. You do need a kit safe cage though, what size spacing is your cage wire? How high is it? If it is too high you may need to buy a new one or use shelves to block off the top. Once you read the breeding section please let us know if you have any questions. I think you have a pregnant girl...I would also buy a scale (walmart food scale or office max mail scale) and keep track of her weight. It will be hard to know though since she should still be growing. Give her lots of hay, and you can add another water bottle to her cage with 1/2 cranberrry juice (unsweetened) or apple juice and 1/2 water, but make sure to leave a plain water bottle too. Leave her be unless you are going to weight her maybe once a week, but pretty much just wait. The scale is more for the babies if there are babies. Goats milk, little syringes, and baby gas drops are very important.

Last edited:
Keep us posted on whether or not she ends up pregnant. If not, just know that they do that if they are hot, or they just do that...all 3 of mine lay on their sides for no particular reason...(well, actually, I think Pheebe does it because she copies Penny...and Penny has always done it - hehe)

Yeah, you have not had her that long, so you are both getting used to eachother. I just know that if they were trying to get her pregnant, she probably is.

Mine does that after play time sometimes or after running on his wheel, even with the A/C on.
I say he does it to freak me out and my husband says that is just the way he likes to relax after playing.
Both of mine will sleep on their sides for a small time before changing positions, usually early into bed time.

My chin Remi does that too after play time. I think he is warm after playing and lays on his side on the chin chiller for a little while. After that he moves about and then sleeps in his house.

I kind of snuck in on the chins yesterday, and saw quite a few on their side! Checked the temp, and it was 71! Even a female on her side with a male snuggled by her tummy, so I guess it wasn't heat, just preference!

3 of my 7 girls sleep on their sides the majority of the time. I know they're not pregnant and it's plenty cool in the room, they've just always done it. I know it can be a sign of pregnancy and it worried me too when I first adopted each of them, but nothing ever came of it. Thank goodness!!! I did prepare with each of them though, just in case. It's definitely a good idea being that the lady had her housed with a male. Her own dad none the less. Makes me wonder what some people are thinking. I don't really know anything about breeding, except what I've read, but the people on here are wonderful, and very helpful with anything you might need. I wish you both the best!

Both of my boys sleep on their side after playtime when they're pooped! If she was in a cage with a male though I'd prepare for some babies.

Most of our chinnies will sleep on their sides from time to time. When our mommies are pregnant all they do towards the end is sleep on their sides, but it is very apparent that they are miserable. It is almost as if that is the only position they can get comfortable in. Sounds kinda familiar....hee hee

it really isn't worth the stress to get an ultra sound done. the best thing to do is wait and see. Gestation is 111-120 days. Mark the calendar and wait. If it passes without a problem great

I agree, I would not do an ultrasound, stress is a killer, and you find out anyway sooner or later!

Latest posts

Back