sinus cold

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angels41105

Love my furry butt kids
can chinchillas get sinus colds? i noticed one of my girls seems to have kind of a wet nose the past day or so which isnt normal... also seems like a bit or matter around it... anyone had this before or know what i'm talking about??

Chinchillas can get upper respiratory infections. I would suggest a trip to the vet. The sooner you catch it the better.

ZZ had a URI a few years ago and it responded very well to antibiotics, but it was caught very early. If it isn't treated, it could turn to pneumonia.

Yes they can catch colds, but mainly in the case of a URI or other issue. All of these can become very serious and need to be taken care of ASAP.

Please, get your chin to the vet...:thumbsup:

As everyone else has said- a vet visit is warranted. Chins can get URI's, which can go downhill fast and progress into pneumonia. It's not a good situation, and the sooner it is treated, the better.

If it is a URI (which is sounds to be), your chin will need antibiotics..probably either sulfa or baytril. It would be a good idea to ask your vet for Critical Care if you don't already have some. Chins can go anorexic when they are sick or going on medication and you will have to start handfeeding them to keep them from going into GI stasis, which in itself is a whole other problem.

Just took my girl to the vet... so lucky to have a couple exotic vets not very far from me... I was given baytril, Metoclopramide and critical care. None of my other kids seem to show signs of this but im watching them like a hawk to make sure. Thanks for all ur info, it is a respiratory issue...

angel are you giving the baytril orally or in shot form? Oral baytril kills the appetite of the chin and can upset their gut flora. If you are giving baytril orally you need to give a probiotic in between the baytril dosages.

Back