Signs of labor?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsey13

As some of you have seen I just got a male and female pair Sunday and the female is more than likely pregnant. Well I am wondering if she might already be about to have the kit(s). I have noticed today she has been scratching at hay and using her back legs to scratch at the fleece at the bottom of the cage and I had not noticed her do that before now. I have also noticed the last few days she has been pretty ill with the male and I have been woke up the last few nights with them making noises (they are in my room and they had been fairly quiet the first several nights I have had them). Was just curious if this sounds like early signs of labor?

Signs of labor include, hanging out on the bottom of the cage, stretching, they can be grumpy, elongated nipples and sometimes the presence of milk.

You need to separate the male from her. He could actually get her pregnant again before or right after she delivers. This is not a healthy situation for her and the kits as nursing one litter and gestating a second is very hard on her little body. Also, if she is being grumpy with him, she may fight with him if you leave them together and that could mean one or two seriously injured or dead chinchillas.

Thanks! Not sure what was going on with her earlier today but she was laying flat on the bottom of the cage and laying on her side which I had not seen her do before. I've never dealt with a pregnant chin before so don't know what all to expect if she really is pregnant. She seems totally back to normal tonight though and been running around the cage and eating etc. Also before the laying on her side and laying flat on the bottom of the cage she had been running everywhere around her cage so I am wondering if she might have gotten a little warm or something.

Sounds like she wore herself out. If you suspect her to be pregnant, she should not have out of the cage playtime. It is too risky for both the mother and the kits she is carrying.

Back