Sigh.. Need help knowing whether this is an emergency visit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookiFace1

Soo yesterday my chin was producing less and smaller poops and I immediately hopped into action. her water bottle seemed to be inconsistent so I immediately put water in a little dish for her and phoned my husband to get her acidophilus and a new water bottle. She seemed to be uncomfortable so I decided to give her some playtime in the bathroom hoping that it would stimulate her poop flow. I crammed the bathroom with toys, little cardboard houses, all the good stuff. She was still more interested in getting on top of the kitchen counter. Before I could distract her she went for it full speed, missed and seemed to have hit herself against the handle. Im not exactly sure where, I only know she hit it because of the little sound and how odd she started acting afterward. Since then she has been scratching at her ears alot, doesnt run as fast as she normally does, and is just acting strange. Ive tried looking up head injuries on this forum and couldnt really find anything. Ive googled a bunch of different sites and alot of them say that unless shes extremely lethargic that shes fine. What is it that could be wrong? What should I be looking for as warning signs? If she did hit her head how will that effect her long term? And since I'm just super paranoid what should I tell the vet to look for? I live in Bermuda and am not quite sure how familiar they are with chinchillas

Chins do things to stun themselves all the time and sometimes it takes time to return to normal. I would give her some nice fresh hay and water in her new bottle and see how it goes. She might just need time alone

:) really? thats SUCH a relief! She is still eating, pooping much better now, and drinking. Only thing we wont do is tilt her head to get the water out of the water bottle so i put a little bowl of water next to it just in case. I will surely take your advice and just give her some relax time. Hopefully by tomorrow night shell be back to her old, fiesty self :)

Oh god, my Furby has done this so many times. He'll leap off my shoulder or something high up and just splat into a wall or the floor. It's terrifying and he always acts weird for a little bit and then is fine, but keeping an eye on it is key. It sounds like Samantha hit the nail on the head. They do these things and will return to normal if they are alright. If they aren't, then you will know fairly quickly.
Keep us updated! :))

:) I am beyond pleased to say that today sook seems to be back to her usual self!!!!! Goodness I'm soo relieved!! Thank you guys soo much for your posts! :hug2:

Back