Sick Chinnie, advice needed.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's Hart... I could be mistaken. I made it a point to grab a card so I saw it in writing and I'm pretty visual but I'm also a goof when it comes to remembering things. :D

Either way, between you and him, I'm know Buttons is in good hands. :)

As far as feedings with the syringe and CC, I have been doing them 3-4 times a day, 10cc each time. The best tip I can give you is, My husband holds her, all wrapped up, and I do the feeding. I hold the syringe in one hand, and with the other hand, I kind of put my finger lightly on her jaw. I don't apply any pressure, this just helps me to keep her mouth straight and opened. I put about 1cc in at a time and let her swallow and get that bit out of her mouth before giving her another small squirt. It also helps to put the tip of the syringe almost in the side of her cheek. It sounds complicated, but after the first few feedings, when all 3 of us were covered in the CC, I had to try some techniques, and the past few days, there has only needed to be a very small swipe with a paper towel after the feeding. I hope all this helps.

It does help as both of us were covered in CC. Any tips are great. Can you possibly show me what syringe you use? Mine is a 3cc syringe that my roommate had (she's a medical assistant so she has a ton of sterile medical supplies). It works pretty well, but without a tip it was hard to actually get it in his mouth. It worked for the time being which is all I wanted. I will use it again tomorrow morning and hopefully the vet will have some I can have. If not I will head to the pet store and hopefully find something. Plus, I think the opening was a little small so even with the CC pretty watery it tended to get clogged and I would have to squirt the clog on my leg as to not shoot too much into his mouth at one time. This is the syringe I was using.

f623_1_sbl.JPG

I know it's not ideal but it was the best thing I had on short notice.

You will need a much bigger syringe than that. I remember posts saying 70-100mL of prepared CC is what they need in a day. I used the 60mL syringe with Loki. He is only around 430gms, and was eating a solid 70-80mL a day.

Ok, so much larger syringe. This was absolutely all he would tolerate before I went to work. I filled it 5 times and got about 3/4 of it into him. He literally started attacking the syringe at the end. The syringe has so many bites on it that I am afraid to use it again.

Yeah Loki was doing that too. So make sure you get a few of them. He chewed a hole right through the tip and I didn't realize.. and well needless to say the CC didn't get into his mouth!

Where did you purchase yours? I am going to ask at the vets tomorrow, but just in case they don't have one, I want to make sure I know where to look.

Tucker would only take his CC from a 10 - 12 cc syringe. So I'd load up two or three of them for each feed and shove them in one after the other. With Lily I used 40 cc syringe.

IMG_8902-S.jpg

Where did you purchase yours? I am going to ask at the vets tomorrow, but just in case they don't have one, I want to make sure I know where to look.

Ok, just saw that Menagerie just posted about the exact same syringe that I used (40 mL). That one worked for me, when I had to hand-feed my chin for almost 2 months. I got it from my vet with the first critical care bag. I tried about 4 different syringes and that one worked the best. Good luck with Buttons.

Last edited:
When giving Baytril orally you need to remember the baytril is so strong it kills their gut flora so they have to have acidiphilus to keep it going. When Abigail had her URI I gave her baytril mixed with banana baby food and she loved it. Half way to the next baytril dosage I fed her two small syringes of cherry flavored yogurt--again she loved it. I know it has sugar content but it's important for them to keep eating during this illness. She was on oral baytril and did just great.

I am so sorry to hear about Buttons. Poor little guy has been through so much in a very little amount of time. Make sure the vet knows he was in with sugar gliders most of his life (not that there could be anything, but just in case). I used the 40cc syringes like Menagerie posted, and they work the best. He may be a little used to them as I always hand feed some CC after his giardia meds, and he was on them when I first got him. He didn't struggle too much, so maybe he does not like that syringe?

Also- feed from the side of the face, they get scared when you go right at them with a huge syringe. I also have not had bad luck with Baytril, just make sure to force a little CC in his mouth after. Good luck, stay strong little Buttons!

This has just come on so fast! That's what freaks me out so bad. He was absolutely fine the night before. Jumping around, dusting, playing and popcorning. Then the next day, small poos, watery eyes, and a sniffly nose. :( I feel so bad because I have no doubt it was something my husband and I somehow brought home with us since him and Chula are housed in our bedroom. The rescues have never even been close and none of them have shown signs of being ill.

Chantel, I will definitely keep you updated. I will definitely mention he was in with gliders.

Buttons was fine in the beginning of the hand feeding, it was at the end when he decided that he had enough that he started flailing and biting at the syringe. I did go from the side, but every time (towards the end) I would squirt a bit in his mouth he would try to paw at it to get it out. He did eat it, but with the paw action he kinda spread it under his mouth and his neck. Even with him burritoed he was able to get those little hands out.

Can someone verify this information for me? Some people are saying to give some CC right after the meds, others are saying to wait at least an hour before hand feeding. I will also ask the vet, but I really do trust you guys and what has worked for you, so I am looking for opinions here as well.

When I say give him some CC right after the meds, it is just a little bit- a mouthful to get the nasty taste out. Just because I think it works better than a shreddie or rosehip and sometimes when they are really sick they won't even take those.

Upper respiratory problems always come on so fast- and they usually go downhill even faster. I agree that he needs Baytril and motility drugs. I bet he is acting angry toward the sryinge because he may be having trouble breathing through his nose?

Make sure to have the vet show you how to give sub cut. iv fluids, that can be a life saver.

You should wait awhile after giving meds--otherwise it's wasted calories because the baytril kills the gut flora. If you feed him right after the baytril dose it's like him not eating anything at all.

I am going to beg for Baytril. I know the vet doesn't want to try it first, but at this point I don't want to take the chance. He's incredibly nice, so if I push I don't see why he wouldn't. I don't mind taking on the sometimes side effects of Baytril. I will deal with them as they come. What I don't want to deal with is a passed on chinny when there was possibly something more I could have done. I really hope he works with me as the only other exotic vet is closed until Monday (and they aren't the greatest).

If he is not eating anyway, Baytril is no problem. TMZ really won't do anything for a bad URI, and you don't have even a few hours to waste. I would beg for a Baytril injection and follow up meds. In my experience, that is what gives them the best chance of pulling through.

Now, I am not seeing the exotic vet today as he is out of town and won't be back until Monday (when I am doing the follow up with him). He is going to be on speaker phone with the regular vet though during the exam. Should I trust the regular vet to give a Baytril injection? I have heard they can be tricky, so I just want to make sure. Or should I go with oral until I see the vet on Monday?

I just want to make sure I am prepared when I go in this morning.

Last edited:
URI's can go bad VERY fast. It's important for Buttons to have the medicine right away. I think you should go oral. As long as you follow the rule of halfway between Baytril get some acidiphilus in him--like I said I mixed the baytril with banana baby food, but halfway to next baytril dose I fed two small syringes full of cherry yougurt--and yes it was messy as heck. Abigail didn't lose her appetite, giving her the medicine that way and the yogurt she still ate lots of hay--not so much her pellets though. I would give that a try.

When I got home this morning I caught Buttons eating a pellet. I still syringed him some CC, but at least I can see he has an interest in eating. I will try his normal probiotics (chewable, tastes like strawberry and he loves them). If that doesn't work I do have the capsules I can empty as well. Can I put acidophilous in his yogurt as well? I will go with plain for now since I knew plain has a semi sweet flavor as well. I know it may be overkill but I want to make sure he has enough bacteria in his belly. Plus, I can crush his strawberry flavored ones and that should make the plain/vanilla yogurt taste a little sweeter as well.

His appointment is at 10:20am, so I am sitting here just waiting. I should be sleeping but the sleepiness has passed.

As Chantel said, if you do need to hand feed, feed from the side of the mouth. There's a convenient gap between the front and side teeth where the syringe fits in nicely. It makes it go a lot easier. Plus, if you get the correct syringe, it's a pointed tip and it makes it easier to shoot the CC in than using the kind of syringe you have pictured.

Is he still having the runny nose/eyes this morning? Did you notice any increased work at breathing or any clicking/wheezing as Kristy mentioned?

Latest posts

Back