Sick baby chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studmuffin514

My baby chin started acting funny and I am not sure what could be wrong. He is only 2 days old and seemed to be nursing just fine. He started laying around a lot not with mom and he walks with his back hunched. However, he does try to move around and I started feeding him bc he wasn't eating. He has become more active but I'm concerned bc of his hunched back. His butt is up of the ground pretty high and his back sticks up. When he is by mom he doesn't nurse. Could he have an illness or is it likely he is injured? His sibling is quite violent at times but I see no signs of injury otherwise. His sibling is active and looks normal. And he has no access to high levels.

His sibling is pushing him away from feeding and he is hunching like that because he needs help and most likely won't make it without it. If it was me, I would start rotating them - 2 hours in, 2 hours out, around the clock. I would also consider hand feeding the one who is struggling every time you remove him from the cage for his 2 hour out time until he starts picking up. Here is a link that explains everything you need to do:

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21

Back