shipping chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenChinchillas

It has been more than 5 years I think since I have shipped and was wondering from those who have shipped or have been shipped to which airline is the best to use. Yes I know way to hot right now but I am looking into it for later this year. Also which carriers have everyone been using?
Thanks.

I know when I flew to Shoots Ranch a long time ago I flew on Delta. When I brought the chins back home they went into cargo. Then I had them flown out they used Delta. You need to check airlines to see if they need health certificates.

No carriers allow you to travel with your chins anymore. The only airline I would trust at this point is Continental. They go hub to hub, no unloading of the chins, no overnight stays. The chins are in the plane around 8 hours or so.

There's also a pet transport service that does nothing but pets, but I don't know how they work or if they are any good.

I used Jet Blue when traveling with my chin for over 6 hours each ride. He was underneath ourseats the whole time. So was my dog. they were really pet friendly, and other people on the same ride brought their cat and dogs. We needed a health certificate for both animals and had to pay a $200 fee for both rides. and for one ride, both my dog and chinchilla were both under our seats at the same time. I had to take my chinchilla out of his carrier cage twice for the airport security check

Last edited:
I believe United will ship animals for a flat $250, a friend shipped rabbits from Colorado to Syracuse I believe they had to have health certificates as well.

Ya i'm not traveling with the Chins so that won't help just thinking I may try shipping to the new inerts again. Iv always had to get health certs and if it didn't require it I still had gotten them anyways. Thank you for the input.

She didn't travel with them either by the way.... Hope it helps

GoldenChinchillas, are you claiming that you broke the world's record of oldest chinchilla ever lived? You posted a photo on your facebook page claiming that he/she lived for 29 years. And after a bit of research I found this: http://www.chinchillas4life.co.uk/ (bottom page) So, if you did have a 29 year old chinchilla, that's very impressive. But I personally doubt that it was actually 29 year old when it died. Wanna share some of your secrets for long living chinchillas with us?

I always use Continental, United or Delta when shipping within the States. United and Continental seem to be the more inexpensive ones, but sometimes Delta is the only one to use for shipping to certain areas.

I also remember your 29 year old chin, but that was so many years ago you had him and posted about him back when this forum was known as cnq. I think that was in 2005 or so?

I'll have to check out your facebook page. I remember the photos of him from back then. I often have told others about him over the years, because some people have no idea just how old chinchillas can live to. Not really any secret to how he lived so long, other than good quality care and food.

Being that i'm only 25 I personally did not bred that animal but he came with a herd a bought out many years ago. Every chinchilla was pedigreed and I personally doubt the original breeder that he came from lied about his DOB, when I bought they herd I was told there its an 'old timer/old man' in the bunch and if I didn't want him they understood. I didn't know how old til I got home and double checked pedigrees. I only owned him for a few years before he passed on so I have no tips. I know the lady who owned him most of his life strictly gave fresh water, hay, pellets and cubes, nothing else.

Thanks for the information on the topic I posted about Serena.

I ship using Delta exclusively. Delta flies everywhere, though now that Continental/United have merged that may have changed in the last six months.

For Delta you do not need health certificates, if you are shipping in bulk (10-40 animals) this can save you a ton. It is a minimum of $200 to ship and it goes up for every pound over 10. To ship 30 adult animals it was $480 or so at a total weight of 38lbs.

I use 10 and 14 hole carriers.

The airline will not ship if it is over 80 degrees on the ground at any of the layovers. The layovers must be at least an hour and no more than three hours. I have never had a chin die from shipping. :))

Where is the "new inerts"?

I use Swype on my cell and it auto corrects words at times, I also use the PSN to use this site and have seen it do weird things. I don't normally actually have access to a comp.
Thought I checked the spelling, meant 'owners' spoof.

Latest posts

Back