Separate Rescues?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peep_erz

I've haven't had any luck trying to get my rescues adopted out. I know I have turned some people down because they only want one chin but my rescues are pairs. For those of you who rescue, do you ever separate bonded pairs just to get them adopted out?

I never do. If they are a pair and get along and are of the same sex, I keep them together. It isn't fair to take them from a friend they have bonded with and enjoy.

I've gone through the same thing before where I wondered if I was just being too picky because I was requiring people to take a pair of chins. Most of the time two chins that share the same cage aren't much more work than just one and people will be alright with taking both. Eventually I find homes for the rescues in pairs, it can be slower than finding homes for the singles at times.

I find with rescues or selling babies, either way it seems like there is no one even interested for a while, then all of a sudden all kinds of interest. But the times when I have the most people interested is when I have nothing...It comes and goes, could just be a rough spell. I find summer is slower with the chinchillas, could be the heat, or people going on vacation with summer break.

But I would not separate a bonded pair, the right home will come. There is only once I separated (other than male/female pairings those get split) and that was because one of the two girls was evil I tried for 3 months to make her friendly. I had to wear gloves when feeding, Had to get stitches, but her cage mate was sweet as pie and I quickly found her a home. I know the mean girl (I named gertrude would never find a pet home

Last edited:
That is the sad thing about rescues and something rescuers have to accept, every chin you take in may be a forever chin.

I keep all pairs and trios together. It's been slow here too with all chins, even the singles. Surrender requests are crazy high though.

I had THE best guy adopt a chin last week. He had a FN all decked out and ready, sent pics and asked for advice. Then he picked up the chin and I've heard from him many times. He did tons of research and took his time. He even bought a saucer from me as this chin LOVES his saucer and I didn't want him to go without.

I'm glad I asked here. I was starting to feel like I was humanizing too much by keeping them with their cage mates. I know it won't kill them to be separated but I think if they are already bonded their quality of life is much greater if they stay together.

I also always keep pairs/trios together. Right now I have 4 pairs up for adoption. Just yesterday I got another inquiry about just adopting one. I tell them the same thing every time, they will only be adopted out together. That usually means I don't hear back from them, but if that's the case, that's the case.

Then you have the months where everyone who contacts you is looking for a pair/trio and all you have is singles, or nothing at all. Ah the life. :p

Back