Seizure?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendra

Chin-zilla!
Tonight Tribble was having a fun play time on my bed, she peed on it so I wiped her up and set her back down a layed down by her. Then she huddled over to me and I could tell something was very wrong. I picked her up and... she seized at around 12:45. She has no prior health issues though I think this was a seizure! It lasted around a minute. She seems to be acting normal now, but what should I do? Could the vet do anything? Is this sometimes something that happens during estrus? (She dropped an estrus plug awhile ago)
Please respond as soon as possible and I apologize for the rambling!

I would keep an eye on her. If it becomes worse and more frequent, she could be put on medication but they try to not go that route.

It could be a sign of something like a tumor, but that would cause them to be more frequent as well.

Someone else can pitch in, but most likely I think it was a freak occurrence.

How long was the chin playing, how old is the chin and how warm was the room? Most likely it was a low blood sugar seizure. If it happens again, put some honey or karo on a q-tip and apply it to the inside of the lips, if the chin comes around right away its that. If not, the chin should go to the vet for further tests. If it is the low blood sugar, before play apply a bit of honey to a shredded wheat and give that, also limit playtime.

How long was the chin playing, how old is the chin and how warm was the room? Most likely it was a low blood sugar seizure. If it happens again, put some honey or karo on a q-tip and apply it to the inside of the lips, if the chin comes around right away its that. If not, the chin should go to the vet for further tests. If it is the low blood sugar, before play apply a bit of honey to a shredded wheat and give that, also limit playtime.

She was playing for around 15 minutes, she's a little over 3 years old and the room was quite cool.

Back