Sapphires ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynhawaiian

So we have been looking into getting a sapphire and X as a breeding pair, and were wondering what a good combo would be. I was thinking a sapphire with an ebony carrier, and a white with a sapphire carrier. What are your thoughts.

Do we get a show quality pair and if so who do we get them from? We were thinking since it's a sapphire we need a strong line. We are going to the California ECBC State Show, and have no real idea what that is like. I’m guessing some high end breeders will be there. We have a pair from Valley View Chinchillas and they have been great, but they haven't produced anything yet. And that's okay because I LOVE them so much. But I would like to get a pair that will.

I can say I need help because I would like to have some good strong babies :chin:

Eventually we would like to show our chinchilla's. Maybe 5 or 6 years down the line.

If you are just starting out and you're serious about working with sapphires, I'd say start with some good sapphires x standards or sapphires x standard/scs - that's going to give you the strongest genes. Adding ebony and white into the mix just makes it harder to get the size and fur quality that they already lack.

And you shouldn't wait 5 or 6 years to show your animals - showing what you've bred is the only way to tell if you are on the right track.

I don't work with sapphires myself, but those that do will tell you that they are not easy to work with. The ones who do well with them are very dedicated to improving the mutation.

Personnally, I do carrier to carrier. I like the white bellies on all my animals. I wouldn't suggest putting ebonies with them. Both mutations still need improvement on the fur quality and size... although both have come a ways since I've started. I still would be careful with breeding them together.

Most people show their animals the first or second year. After that, most animals don't have the best fur and in a prime condition. Only a VERY FEW have been able to pull that off with exceptional animals whose fur is super dense with spot on color and in perfect prime for the show at an older age. I make that statement for any color chinchilla.

Don't forget to think about the phase of color you would like to work with. A light animal, medium or dark colored fur. Lights and mediums have a blue silver sheen. Dark sapphires have a rich deep hue of metallic silver/blue.

Work with a mentor for a very long time before making a purchase for possible show quality offspring for the future. Or you'll end up with small animals with very open soft fur. Or pet quality offspring that doesn't sell well due to looking too similar to a standard. ( if a lighter phase )

Last note: Be prepared to be dazzled at the show. Since I believe you have never been to a show, the animals are going to blow you away. ;)

Last edited:
I would pair a sapphire to a light to medium color phase standard grey. The standard must be of superior quality. I would also recommend getting another sapphire line to pair with the original line's offspring. Pair standard sapphire carriers to unrelated standard sapphire carriers. I would not use another mutation in the lines until you have superior quality sapphires to pair them with.

I would only breed a sapphire to a standard S/C. I wouldn't even mess with other mutations as others have said.

Christiane (Saphire) produces some gorgeous sapphires. I'm sure she'd give you some more input if you asked.

Everyone has their own way of producing mutations - some like to do carrier to carrier, some prefer to do mute to standard to carrier next generation, etc. Once you've been breeding for a while you begin to know what works best for the qualities you want and the phase you are looking for.

Be sure to have chins with pedigrees. Recessive mutations like that need careful tracking. Last that I knew valley veiw doesn't have pedigreed chins unless they changed that.

You guys are making me think that maybe we should consider first showing mosaics. Getting a good strong show quality standard and a good strong show quality white, and build up from there first. Then as things progress get farther into the sapphires. Maybe they are too advanced for us right now.

The problem is where we begin with finding the good quality show chins. I’m guessing we would be able to find a pair at the show in California in Jan?

Valley view does pedigree their chins.

You guys are making me think that maybe we should consider first showing mosaics. Getting a good strong show quality standard and a good strong show quality white, and build up from there first. Then as things progress get farther into the sapphires. Maybe they are too advanced for us right now.

The problem is where we begin with finding the good quality show chins. I’m guessing we would be able to find a pair at the show in California in Jan?

Well done!! That first paragraph is one of the best responses I have read in a long time! And your smart to start with something manageable. Go to the show and take your time buying. There will always be chinchillas to buy. ;)

Put a note on the forum in the "show section" ( stating the show you will attend ) that your new, and would like to meet breeders/show people and ask questions regarding the animals you would like to breed. Remember, we were all new to this at one time too. While they may be too busy at the show, they may have plenty of time on another occasion to mentor you or direct you to a certain person to guide you towards purchases.

Some breeders/show people attending the show will have chins for sale, some for sale back at home, and some chins they will sell after the show season.

Remember too, that some people are known for their outstanding work in certain lines. Be it mutations or standards.

Keep in mind some judge(s) will answer questions after a show. Just depends on how fast the show hall needs to be packed up afterwards.

Hope this helps. I need another cup of coffee :wacko: Hee Hee

I’m thinking that it would be best to start with a good standard and a good quality white. I want to do this right, and I believe the best place to start is with a pair. If you know people to talk with who have good quality standard lines, show quality, etc., and a good show quality white/mosaic let me know.

Starting out with good lines is important to us, and I think for the rest of the community. We don't want to be doing this incorrectly!

I roast my own coffee once a week. Make it in a french press every day. Good Coffee is my speciality!

You mention going to the Cal State show. Are you located in Southern California? I am in Riverside and I would be more than happy to help you through the whole thing. I probably won't make it to the state show this year, God knows I would love to, but the hubby just got laid off so no big trips until he has a good job again. If you would like to shoot the chinchilla breeze with me, let me know. My email is in my signature as is a link to my site.

Back