Sanitizing critter nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flukeke

I have had two chinchillas for a month now and tomorrow am planning to sanitize the cage for the first time. (Each week the cage got a minor cleaning as well as switching fleece and cleaning pans with wet paper towels). Are there any tips you guys can give like best cleaning solution, problem areas of the cage, and where do you keep the chinchillas during the cleaning. Officers any other hint and tips are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

A 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water works great for cleaning. I'd just wipe the whole cage down with that and use a stronger solution of vinegar for problem areas, such as where they pee the most.

If the ledges are dirty, you can wipe them down real well with the same solution (it works GREAT for just about everything!) and set it outside to dry if it's a nice day. Some people like to sand it down, too.

And a tip, using white vinegar in chinchilla laundry does wonders, too :)

If you have a cat carrier, you can put the chins in that with some food, water, hay, and chews. I usually let my chin out for playtime when I'm cleaning the cage, unless I'm vacuuming.

Thank you for the advice we found that the vinegar solution did the job fantastically. We did have to deal with two very grumpy China though as they did not really like being in the pet carrier. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I love vinegar!
Great for cleaning just about anything :)
And for the chins favorite pee spot where it can get really caked, I put baking soda as well.. Let it sit then scrub it off. Give it a good rinse and voila

Back