Roundworm?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

Can chinchillas get roundworms? I have been helping my friend with his new puppy and the puppy has been to my house a couple of times, but today he found out his puppy has roundworms. Can these be transmitted to my chinchillas? I have been thoroughly washing my hands between playing with the puppy and my chinchillas but I was wondering if there was any possible way they could get them. Their cage is up high where the puppy can't get to them and I do not allow the girls on the floor where the puppy has been; they have a play pen that the bottom is covered. I'm just concerned if I should get their poo checked or if they should be ok. And if they do have roundworms what kind of treatment is best?

Yes! I had a good friend have a very scary roundworm scare, we did lots of research and were assured by a few vets and even a vet on this board back when it was CnQ. It is very scary for humans and chins. I think she treated them with an antibiotic and they all but one survived. It is very hard to see and very contagious, from what I remember. I will see if I can find that thread or some of the emails she sent me and maybe even have her come post here, she may be of some help, I know she did tons of research.

perhaps a silly question but I honestly am not certain... is this the same as ringworm? Ive heard chins can transmit ringworm, just wondering if theyre the same parasite.

*** nevermind- ignore my silly question, i started googling, and found something saying ringworm is a fungus, and roundworm is a parasite... look at that.. you learn something new everyday***:hmm:

Last edited:
Back