Rose Hips & itching

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roni Jasper

Hi, I've been giving my chins full rose hips and noticed that they scratch their noses while & after eating them. I looked up rose hips and learned what I'm sure most people on here already know, about the itchy insides. I've since started cracking them and just giving my chins the shell (now I'm the itchy one ;))... but my question is this... Is it wrong to just give them the full rosehip, itchy stuff and all?

I learned about these the hard way. Never having seen one, I cracked open a whole rosehip and examined the insides. I got the "fluffy" stuff on my hand and proceeded to wipe it away with my other hand. BIG mistake. It felt like thousands of little needles, a lot like touching fiberglass. I crushed the rest of them and picked out the large chunks of the evil stuff. I'm sure it doesn't hurt them, but if it was as uncomfortable to me, it probably is annoying to them, also.

I have some who like to eat the entire rosehip, fuzzy parts and all, and I have others who prefer the shell and will not eat the fuzzy insides... I have both crushed and whole rosehips and alternate which ones I give as treats.

I have one chin that will nibble off a nice circle on the top and then eat the insides carefully. Another chin pretty much bashes it into his face any way possible and bites so it explodes. If your chin seems bothered by it I would just feed crushed but if you chin just eats it and doesn't do the wipey dance a whole lot I would give them a full rose hip. I have both on hand.

I have only given Idgie the crushed ones. I like to hand feed them to her. Never tried the whole ones and I definitely won't bother now.

I have some chins that like the whole rosehips and some that prefer the crushed, so I have both!

Yeah that stuff inside a whole one is MISERABLE!

Yea after seeing this thread i took a rosehip and just crushed it open all over my hands and found out its not very pleasant it actually feels almost like its cutting you
My one chinny will bite into a whole one and drop it but he loves crushed the other two dont care they love anything

Back