Road trippin' chinnies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundNoFtWaL

We're a long way from it, but my fiancé and I are talking about moving home. We're in Vegas now, but plan to move back to the Northwest. But, even before that my fiancé might get a job that requires him to go overseas for 6 months. If he does get that job, I'll go back home to be with family. For both trips I'll have to take my chinny with me. We plan on driving and I know the trip is 16-18 hours if we go without staying overnight.

I know climate control is a concern when traveling. I don't know what time of year either of these trips will be. I've had to make trips to the vet in the middle of summer, and my chinnies did fine. I have a little plastic and wire carrier and used ice packs wrapped in fleece with the ac on. I'm wondering though if I should get one of these metal carry cages I keep hearing about. I only have one chin. How long would you leave the chins in the small carrier? Do you bring a little larger collapsible cage with you so they have a bit of room to play at night if you stay over in a hotel?

We haven't made any set plans for any trips yet. It just came up the other day in conversations about what to do with our house. I was also thinking what if I have to fly? Has anyone ever flown with their chinny? Can they be taken as carry on? I know I've seen little dogs in carriers in the airport terminal, but don't remember every having flown with one on my plane. Since they are an exotic animal my concern would be with transport of exotics and something coming up like a strange license that maybe be needed which I have no clue about. I got my chin on Craig's list and have no bill of sale or anything of the sort as far as paperwork goes on him. I was told he was a pet store chin.

He would be fine for the drive, as long as you have a/c if it's in the summer months. I prefer not to use a plastic carrier as I've had chins chew their way out. I use all metal carriers instead. JPChinchillas has a really nice oversized one that pet owners seem to like. I wouldn't use a bigger cage. I think they travel much more safely in a smaller carrier where they can't spazz out and hurt themselves. When I do the long hauls like that, my chins just sleep.

There used to be an airline where you could fly with them as a carry on, but I honestly don't remember which one it is anymore. If you can find it, you would need to get your chin a certificate of health from a vet. The airlines don't ask for a bill of sale.

i took my one chin to weekend event at a hotel. for the hour drive there he was in a the plastic cat carrier (he is not a chewer......has malo) when i got there, i converted a small bird cage into a his weekend home, it fit his fleece tube and a small shelf or two.
after checking the bathroom thoroughly, i deemed it chin proof and let him have his run around time in there. it worked out just fine.

Thanks guys. Is JPChinchillas a member on here? Is the carrier a 2 hole carrier. Does that mean there are 2 compartments, 2 doors, or both? I have a small cage about 18"x 24" I could take with me if we drive to keep him in over night to give him a bit more streatching room. And the bathroom is a good idea if there's no moulding to chew on.

Back