reverse osmosis water?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tams

In the last water thread I saw a few posters say they give their chins reverse osmosis water, I had commented on it, but got no reply, what is it, where can I find it and how do I know if it is reverse osmosis water?

I don't know of places that you can buy water that has been filtered through reverse osmosis.
It is a like a filtration system, but instead uses a membrane that typically has a semi-permeable membrane, which is rated at 0.0001 micron. Non-RO systems have a pore size on their filter media much bigger, generally 0.5 - 10 micron. They can filter out coarse particles, sediments and elements only up to their micron rating. Anything finer and most dissolved substances cannot be filtered out. As a result, water is far less clean and safe compare to reverse osmosis filtration.

Here's a site that explains it pretty simply.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/reverse-osmosis.htm

I know that a very few Dominick's (Safeway) grocery stores by me have a reverse osmosis filling station. You could call a few places around you and see if they sell it.

I used to buy it by the gallon at Wal-Mart, but instead now buy the blue jugs and refill them from the water station. It's cheaper, the water jugs are sturdier, and it's also reverse osmosis out of the machine.

I know that it's pricey, but Dasani is purified by reverse osmosis.

I drink it myself, and I also use it for the chins. I watch for sales at Walgreen's and Albertsons/King Soopers/Safeway, all grocery stores in my area, and then stock up. :thumbsup:

I fill up about 75 gallons of RO water in my water jugs once every two weeks at the machine in front of Walgreens in town. It's 5 gallons for a dollar.... :D Our water out here is from a well that is probably tainted from years of copper mining.

I don't have problems with anything mysterious growing in the bottles...I highly recommend using RO water. The membrane filtration removes much of the contamination in the water and the chins like it because the bad tastes are removed. Many of the water machines have charcoal prefilters that remove the bad taste from the water and also the contaminates that could make it harmful. :) Chinchillas don't see to want to drink tap water sometimes because of the taste.

I take clean water very seriously when it comes to chins because it is one thing that can take down a chinchilla very quickly. I just don't trust tap water anywhere. If it tastes bad to me, the animals probably think it tastes bad, too.

Another solution that people haven't offered yet is buying a filtration system like Pur or Brita that filtrates your tap water. It's cheaper than buying bottled water and it removes most of the contaminants from tap water. That's what I use on my chin :)

keep in mind sometimes depending on your water situation those filtration systems can be a failure we spent a few thousand dollars having one of those "good ones" installed with their great warranty and guarantee and all of that and even with our water softener being serviced and maintained and working properly ours still failed multiple times. they fixed it a few times even replaced the entire system but still only lasted a short amount of time with well water.

we use bottled water and were told that is really our only option it works just fine for us and is very accessible.

just my experience i hope i am the only one with such trouble but with well it is always a possibility and i saw someone else mention about a well earlier figured it should be known the so called experts said a professional system will not last here.

i guess somethings just are not meant to be

You can buy a reverse osmosis filtration system for your sink at home depot alot cheaper in he long run

I just got a reverse osmosis filter system that goes under the kitchen sink, for my anniversary today. I tasted some earlier today and it tastes just as good, if not better than, the bottled water.

I was running out of room to put jugs of water and filters are expensive and I thought this would be a good way to go! :)

I have a filter system in my fridge, made my brita? should I switch and buy RO water? Does it make a huge difference, I have no problems with the chins drinking. Their water gets chainged daily to keep it fresh, and I have never had any problems with algea or anything like that. On the box it says it removes 99 percent of almost everything listed except flouride and Atrazine(?), would you use it?

I use Aquafina bottled watter that uses reverse osmosis. That is what i drink only so thats what chi chi drinks. LOL my chinny drinks bottled water. I think everyone else in my family would call me crazy givng my pet bottled water

Back