RESCUE chin CHEWED poor thing PICS

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETC

HOME OF EXTREME MOSAICS!
I saw a chin on our local traders market that needed help and I stepped in.
She was being fed ONLY lettuce and celery, came in a dirty cage with no wood to chew, just a few shavings on the bottom, and she was severely chewed.
Here is ragamuffin.....MUFFIN for short.....a medium ebony female. She has the sweetest face.
Her chewing is the worst I have seen, some is right down to the skin.
But in those conditions, I can only imagine the stress she was under. Note the red veins in her ears...she was seriously overheated.

ragamuffin1.jpg

ragamuffin.jpg

I'm glad you stepped in and helped this little girl out...the way some people treat animals is truly disgusting. I am sure once she is in a peaceful, healthy and safe environment the chewing will not be nearly as bad...she is already pretty and I bet she will become gorgeous :)

I'm so sorry to see her in such bad shape :( I'm so happy she has been found by you! She deserves a 2nd chance. Could you please post pics again once you've had her for a bit? I'd love to see how she improves!

Aww poor thing, im glad you stepped in !!! Lola was in bad shape when i had her, i actually dont think she had any food in her cage and her cage sister died before i could get hold of her. Muffin has a very cute face and i bet she will be looking like the usual fluff balls soon, atleast she can now be happy :)

Thanks everyone......she didn't even seem to know what pellets were....but is eating hay like crazy and drinking just fine. She didn't have a house before, and seems to love that......I will definitely keep you updated on her progress.

She does have the sweetest face! Kudos to you for stepping in and giving Muffin a better chance at chinny life!

awwww. I am sure she will look even more pretty after she get's the proper care and all. Good job helping her out! She is lucky to have you.

She is beautiful!! The malnutrition and the overheating is not beautiful in itself, but you can tell she's a sweet girl. Very happy you scooped her up when you could!!!

How old is she? She looks sorta young but I can't tell whether that's just because she's small/missing fur or what.

P.S. I like her name

The poor baby - so glad you were there to see her problems and were able to take her. As for the hay - I would feed her both timothy and alfalfa hay until she starts eating her pellets.

Oh my gosh!!! Poor darling! She is the cutest little baby! Today is her lucky day! Can't wait to see her improve..

Her ears.. what temperature was she being kept at? or do you know?! I can't even imagine a chin being hot like that all the time. :(

Awww. :( Poor girl. I think if I saw her, even I would scoop her up. Can't wait to see how she turns out.

How does her personality seem?

Hi everyone. Just an update. Muffin is doing great. She has gone to live with a friend of mine who is a retired nurse, who is home all day to take care of her. I will post updated pictures when I get them. Muffin was very timid at first but already takes a shreddie from my friends hand. There has been a big change in her personality. She has started to chew on sticks instead of herself and the cage bars.

Why did you get rid of her so quickly? Hasn't it only been like 19 days? I thought common practice was to have rescues AT LEAST 30 days before rehoming.

Hi there, no she went straight to my friend the same day. I rescued her and brought her right there. I am over there daily. We just decided that she was home all day to monitor her progress and I wasn't. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with Laura. Even if the chin went to a chin knowledgeable home, she should have been watched in once place for at least 30 days. The added stress of being moved again after only 19 days could further worsen her problems instead of encouraging recovery.

I agree with Laura. Even if the chin went to a chin knowledgeable home, she should have been watched in once place for at least 30 days. The added stress of being moved again after only 19 days could further worsen her problems instead of encouraging recovery.

My apologies.....my friend and I see eachother daily and she is not a member of this forum so could not update you on Muffin's condition so I did. When I rescued the chin, she went right to my friend's place as she is a retired nurse and home all day. I am the one who saw her on the trader's market, went to see her, and saw her condition, bought her and brought her to my friend.
I can not take credit for her recuperation, that is all my friend's doing. She dotes on her daily and Muffin is progressing beautifully.

Back