replacing plastic base

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay

hello I rehomed 2 chinchillas and they turned out to be male and female so we ended up with a baby now the cage what I got them in is large but a plastic bottom so I want to replace the plastic im worried the baby will chew it will wood be ok to replace it as we cant get old of metal type to make it with
thanks kay

Wood would be perfectly fine as long as it is chinchilla safe wood! Found this link recently that tells you what are safe and what are not safe wood. You can take a look at it?

I think covering it with fleece may be a better idea but that's just me. I'd worry they'd chew a whole in the wood like they would the plastic.

I am with Jazicat on covering the plastic with fleece. You could possibly invent some sort of wood over plastic deal too. That or investing in another cage without a plastic base. Just a question though, are the male and female still together? If so they should be separated as soon as possible. The female could get pregnant again and that wouldn't really be good. Also, how large are we talking of a cage? Usually it's safer to have babies in smaller cages until they get bigger... both so they get nursed enough and so that they don't hurt themselves. What's the bar spacing as well? Sorry... that turned out to be more than one question.

Back