Recycling Christmas Trees

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Up_Sunshine

Chinnie Paparazzi
So I know the safe woods list refer to firs and I know that my Christmas Tree this year is a Douglas Fir. I know in this particular case that no pesticides were used and I'd like to recycle my tree, especially if I can do something for my boys in the process. I've already looked over the how to prep wood thread, which I am very thankful to the wise ones who posted it.
I know that some sellers use full branches attached with bolts and wingnuts, which I would like to do. I also have a saw and am thinking of using some of the trunk for I guess shelves?, but I am curious if anyone else has recycled their tree or has suggestions on how to use the pieces. I'm also thinking maybe I could mulch some (after drying and prepping of course) and use it for bedding in the litter pan?
Logisitcs wise, I know coniferous trees have sap so need some kind of dry out period- how long would that be? Would you recommend cutting it first and then allowing it to dry? It seems that would be faster for a small piece to dry out rather than one whole tree.
Alternatively, has anyone else recycled their tree in such a manner or have cute chinchilla tree stories or pictures? I know my boys had a short escape to the livingroom and showed no interest in the blinking giant chew but maybe someone else has cute pictures of their babies.

That's true. I found a lot of different sites with different "safe" lists, and hadn't seen a site that listed fir as safe until this one which I was actually surprised about. So even baking for many hours, I could not get all the sap out? Interesting. That page is also VERY informative! Thank you.

Back