~Recomended Cage size?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~SG~

Orchestrating Chaos
What is the recommended cage size for one adult chin? what about for 2?

yes but no where do I see a recommended size. I know lots like the ferret nation cages, some like this or that brand cage but I don't see sizes.
I was wondering if there is a recommended minimum height X width X depth size for chins.

I know with sugar gliders is you have them in a cage that is to small they will become depressed and self mutilate. Their cages also need to be tall. There are specific minimum requirements for them.

If you look through the threads, you will see recommended sizes. There are many opinions on what is a good size. Just look through the threads.

You'll get varying opinions on what is an acceptable size for different numbers of chinchillas. My chinchillas are all in breeding runs and to most people these cages are deemed "too small". The common mantra from the pet side is "the bigger the better".

ok so I don't need to worry about the cage being to small then?
I just want my babies to be happy and healthy :)

Nope! I'm sure a chinchilla's mental health would suffer in a cage where movement was severely restricted, but I'm sure anyone with a brain wouldn't put them in something they can't walk around in.

Better to buy the biggest cage you can and grow into it. Especially with two chins, a cage like the FN can be made into two cages if the fight in the middle of the night happens and the chins need to be separated. Any pair can fight to the death, even bonded chins and relatives who have been together for years.

ok when I went to get the chin for Erin they kinda insisted I take this home made cage of a thing with me. The cage part measures 46 inches long, 15 inches deep and 24 inches tall. I was wondering if the cage portion is big enough to merit all the work that would be required to get it into usable shape. It would take a LOT of cleaning, ripping out all the shelves etc and building back the right kind of shelves.

Since I already have it and Erin doesn't want it I was considering it. It's on my porch so I either need to fix it up or take it to the dump tomorrow.

Back