Reaction to antibiotics?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragsil

As some of you may know my chin Silver had his hind leg amputated two weeks ago today, he has apparently been doing really well and eating, pooping and hopping around but today I heard from his new owner that he has developed a few yellowish blister type lumps on his neck. Is it possible that this is a reaction to antibiotics? He was getting injections, so was wondering if anybody has a similar experience? Apparently he is perfectly fine apart from this issue and has a vet appointment today in a few hours where he might be swapped to an oral antibiotic.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

I've heard that baytril can cause skin irritation when injected. If the injections were given in the area that has the blisters then it's very possible the antibiotics caused it. If the amputation was done 2 weeks ago it's possible your chin doesn't need antibiotics anymore. I hope he continues to do well.

You have to be careful when using injectable baytril, One of the dangers of injections using baytril, especially if it is not diluted, is the development of a nasty ulcer in the injection site. It is very caustic to the skin and when injected, especially without being diluted and the syringe tip not rinsed off or replaced, it can coagulate under the skin and start to cause a horrible ulcer. This is known as baytril burn and is a problem with small animals with little body fat.

Apparently the vet thinks its a reaction to the baytril, one of the blisters popped and was full of a clear liquid with a little pink (no infection, hopefully?) and since he is off the antibiotics now they are keeping the area clean and going back for a follow up on Monday if it gets any worse. Since he is off the antibiotics I hope that it goes away and dries out in a few days. Apart from this issue he is apparently doing really well.

Good news! At least it doesn't sound like injection site isn't infected. Watch the other spots though because if it is from the injections each spot has potential to abcess(tissue dies and forms necrotic abcess) the one that has opened sounds okay since it has clear/light bloody fluid.If an abcess ruptures it will usually be thick,yellow,cloudy(best words I can use to describe pus).

Back