Ranch names vs non-ranch names

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

I have been showing my babies for the last 3 years and I don't have a ranch name. Their parents are from Bowen and Shoots, Bowen and Chincolores, or all Shoots lines. They have been doing pretty well considering they are my pets first. They will have pedigrees as soon as I it on paper.

I had a GSC for mutation, reserves for cc, 1st, 2nds, 4th at 2 mths, & 2 that didn't place which were accidental breeding.

Now, if I decided to sell them would you buy from a rancher with a name only vs a non-rancher without a name?

I don't care what name is on the paper. I care what the animal looks like. So for me, I could care less if it has a ranch name on it.

Snickers,

Your post makes no sense. You list a lot of names and a lot of places, but I don't think that's what you want to know.

If you are looking to sell your animals, and you don't have a brand name ( it only costs $5!), then make something up. Use your last name or something. On the pedigree, people need to know that the animals were bred by you. In the background (dam, sire, etc.) you keep the original breeder's name.

Ah, maybe Becky read that differently than I did. I thought you meant because you personally don't have a ranch brand.

Becky - Isn't it only $5.00 if you pay the yearly membership to join either MCBA or ECBC? You don't get the keep the ranch brand if you don't stay a paying member, do you? I was taking what she said as asking if people would buy from her if she didn't have a registered ranch brand. I don't care if her brand is registered. She would still be providing a pedigree.

Yes, you have to belong to one or the other. You supposedly lose it if you don't keep your membership, but I've never heard of that happening. It would really make things confusing!

I'm assuming that she does, since she shows.

Ditto on what the animal looks like regardless what name is on the pedigree.

Becky, these are my animals background that I bred at my house. The 3 groups are the parents of the babies. I was just trying to get a feed back since I didn't have a ranch name if people would buy these chins if they were up for sell.

Tunes, you read the thread correctly.

I really don't care about "ranch names". WHat is important to me is the chin and the ability of that chin to fulfill the purpose(in most cases my wants) I am looking for a chin to fill. If you have good quality stock then I would buy from you versus a large ranch with medium quality stock.

It doesn't matter if you have a "ranch name" or not.

Like, if I didn't have a ranch name, people would probably just say I got this chin from Nicole Galliano, etc.

Quality speaks louder than a name.

Nan, I wouldn't care that you don't have a ranch name because you have some beautiful, beautiful animals that have proven themselves and their offspring on the show table as well. I think anyone who has attended shows and knows how to assess the quality of an animal would not care that you do not have a registered ranch brand.

It doesn't matter if you have a "ranch name" or not.

Like, if I didn't have a ranch name, people would probably just say I got this chin from Nicole Galliano, etc.

Quality speaks louder than a name.

I totally agree with Nicole. Quality is the main thing, not the ranch name.

Nan, I wouldn't care that you don't have a ranch name because you have some beautiful, beautiful animals that have proven themselves and their offspring on the show table as well. I think anyone who has attended shows and knows how to assess the quality of an animal would not care that you do not have a registered ranch brand.

I agree with Sumkio! Its more about the quality than a brand/name.

Yes, you have to belong to one or the other. You supposedly lose it if you don't keep your membership, but I've never heard of that happening. It would really make things confusing!

I'm assuming that she does, since she shows.

I was given the brand MHAC, which formerly belonged to someone else, who was no longer a member... :hmm:

But I agree with everyone else, quality is far more important than whose name is on the pedigree.

This is a direct quote from the MCBA ranch brand page. GO to the main page and lookk under RANCH BRANDS".

Quote "This will remain yours for as long as you are a rancher."

THis is my uynderstanding is that as long as you are an active Chin breeder you will keep this brand.

Nan,

You have spectacular chins from good lines. I'd buy a chin from you anytime after seeing what you brought to the show. Beautiful BV's.

would you buy from a rancher with a name only vs a non-rancher without a name?

I would personally say a name I don't care about much. I agree with the quality of the animal is the decision maker... But I generally do look up show results, contact the breeder (if they are selling an animal bred by someone else), and lots of other minute details.

But in my area, it's full of backyard breeders, so when I buy I will generally buy from a rancher (shoots for example). This is because I have been burned with a breeder selling me animals that came from someone who was outed for faking lots of things (peds, awards, etc.), which she was aware of. Sadly, most of those animals haved passed from heart problems. And other problems.

Edited: To fix some of my poor spelling

Oh, as a side note... I don't think that I would buy from someone who had a brand that used to be registered to another person. This is only due to my past problems with buying chins from people whom I thought were honest and turned out not to be. I would be thinking they were trying to pass off bad animals, or trying to pass off their animals as being bred by someone else, etc.

I rarely buy chins now. :|

I totally agree with everyone.

HOWEVER

If people don't get ranch brands, wouldn't we some day lose track or have a hard time tracking the lineages of our chinchillas? Or do we still write ou breeder's name on the ped?

I am wondering because as I'll have my first breeding pair ready (cross fingers) this year, I thought it would be great to get a ranch brand with the MCBA or Canadian association, just for the sake of praticality. Easier to trace the babies, to make sure you don't have blood related chins,etc.

Now don't mistake me, I would have absoluetly no problems buying chins from a breeder that doesn't have a ranch brand, quality is the most important as stated above.

Oh, as a side note... I don't think that I would buy from someone who had a brand that used to be registered to another person. This is only due to my past problems with buying chins from people whom I thought were honest and turned out not to be. I would be thinking they were trying to pass off bad animals, or trying to pass off their animals as being bred by someone else, etc.

I rarely buy chins now. :|

The issue is, if you get assigned the brand you assume it wasn't used by someone else before. I found out by looking in a show book that mine used to be someone else's and once I found out I contacted someone with the MCBA and haven't heard anything new about it in a while. :hmm:

I think ranch brands are definitely important for the future but quality is most important for sure.

Back