Ramps?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewChinGuy

Hey guys, I just built my FN182 and I'm noticing everyone is saying to generally remove the ramps. Why? Is it not safe to leave a ramp from the first level to the second, if it's covered in the fleece cover? If I take it out, how will my Chin go between levels?

Thanks guys. :)

If you cover it with fleece it should be fine. In general chinchillas jump - so ledges are thought to be more useful for chinchillas than ramps.

Ramps are not safe even if you have the ramp covers on them that come with the cages. My chin actually chewed the velcro off the ramp cover during the night and the cover fell down and he got his leg stuck in the ramp and broke it and had to have it amputated. I actually have wood shelves so they can get to the upper level of their FN cage and they do great with them and don't have issues getting to the upper level.

I donatenatt the ramps to my local ferret rescue. Chins don't need them and the risk of injury is high. I have a tripod rescue who broke her leg on a fn ramp. Even with the covers on, I would not use them.

If I get rid of the ramp how can I ensure that there is enough space for the Chin to jump between the two floors without risk of injury? Also, how wide do shelves have to be? I can get kiln-dried pine cut to length but I'm not sure if getting it 4" wide or 6" would be better.

Chinchillas get around just fine by jumping, and having to do so helps them stay healthy and happy. I have a 15 year old chin who gets around in his cage just fine with no ramps, and it's not worth the risk of injury to have them in there. Unless they're solid wood and therefore another possible chew toy, I avoid ramps.

If I get rid of the ramp how can I ensure that there is enough space for the Chin to jump between the two floors without risk of injury? Also, how wide do shelves have to be? I can get kiln-dried pine cut to length but I'm not sure if getting it 4" wide or 6" would be better.

I just put a wide shelf beneath the hole opening of the floor and my chins get from level to level fine. Even if they fall through the opening, the shelf will catch them. Shelving width is up to you..they do well at balancing and would be fine with either one of those sizes. I would go with 6" so if they decide to chew it, you may have a little more time before it needs to be replaced.

i have a 8 inch shelve right under the opening and then another shelve on the right side a few inches below that one he has no problems going up and down in the cage

Back