Rabbit Pellets.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperpot

Chin Mum & Fluffslave!
I'm curious as to the dynamics behind feeding chinchillas a mixture of chinchilla and rabbit pellets. In England, this would be classed as a big no no. Are the rabbit pellets available in America nearer the consistency of chinchilla pellets?

I don't feed a mixture of both. I feed rabbit pellets only. I can't get ANY chinchilla feed in South Dakota. The closest I can get is to drive two states away to get Tradition. Obviously this isn't going to work for me since I have hundreds of chins and go through a bag of feed every other day. Other people feed rabbit pellets because they are similar to chin pellets and they also have difficulty getting actual chinchilla pellets where they live. Some feed it because their chins do better on it.

Most rabbit pellets in the US aren't safe for chins, but there are a few that are, such as Manna Pro PRO and Manna Pro Premium. I give a mixture of Manna Pro and Mazuri chinchilla feed; works well with my 5 kids.

I appreciate the issues you have obtaining pellets guys. I'm very fortunate in that I can bulk order my pellets from a lovely gentleman in Yorkshire and receive them the following working day, carriage free.

Back