Quilling help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffw89

So my little guy is going through his big quilling, he is just over three months old and is well on the way in his quilling i keep finding them all over the place. he seems perfectly healthy still using his flying saucer every night a very healthy appetite and drinking plenty. his poop is normal so no health problems.

but he is so stroppy! i cannot get him out of his cage without a blanket because he curls up, huffs and does his little jumping/popping thing for the first few minutes until he calms down and then i let him climb into his snuggle bag and sit on my knee or wherever with me and usually after about half an hour/an hour he will come out and have a sniff around but as soon as i try and handle him with my bare hands he gets very huffy and curls up. its worrying me quite a bit as i dont want him to get out of the habbit of being handled.

any ideas or advice would be a great help. bit worried for myself as well dont want to start getting nervous about him freaking out when i handle him.

Basically you need to continue to handle him daily, but try to not touch his back when you do so. Allow him to snuggle with you, whether under a blanket or in a snuggle bag so that he continues to bond to you.

Those quills poking through can cause them quite a lot of discomfort.

You can also try a warm bath with oatmeal bath wash, or add a couple of drops of flaxseed or vitamin e oil on his back. Sometimes these will help soften the skin and soothe it as those quills poke through. Do not give the bath frequently though, as it can wash away the natural oils and have the reverse effect by drying the skin.

Back