question out of curiousity....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tams

Not that I am planning on doing it, but it's pure curiousity.....is it possible (or at least ever known to happen) where a male and female were cage mates and never mated/reproduced without the male being neutered? It was just something I thought about. I am guessing the answer is no.

It does happen, but very, very rarely and you (as in whomever) definitely shouldn't take the chance. I think I read from a breeder that around 8% of males are sterile.

Yeah, maybe they've been together for two years and lived in a stressful situation and never bred but once you put them in a better environment they'll produce quads for you, lol.

I have had animals that were together for 4-5 years and never had any kits all of a sudden have a litter. There are no guarantees.

I have a pair that haven't mated in two years ever since they were put together, im putting them into a run this year to see if anything changes...

I have 1 female here who had 1 baby then nothing since for 2 years now. But it is not a common occurance

I had a chin who lived with different males for four years, and no kits. Right when I finally gave up and moved her out of the breeding run and into her new single cage, POOF.... eight weeks later....... kits. You just never know!

I had a pair of chins that never bred, not once! Apart from those 2 I have never had that problem with any other chins.

I have a homo beige male that's been with multiple females for the past three years and has not bred any of them. I don't know if he will produce but very occasionally you will have a male or female that just can't produce. Most times when people have a pair of
"non-producers" it's something else, like the environment the chins are in or that they just don't like each other.

I rescued a pair of male/female chins, and when speaking to the previous owner, I was told that they have been together since they were kits (yikes) but have not had babies. I don't know if she was lying or not, but I don't see why she would. They were together for about 3 1/2 years before being seperated.
Like Tabitha said, there are some instances where the male/female just don't like each other.

My first pair had been together 6 years at their old owner's home and never mated once in the 6 years of living with her. She did leave them outside though... when they came home with me, they had their first litter five months after moving in to my home. It's what got me into raising chins, fell in love with their babies!

On the otherhand, I got a chin once some years ago, who had been passed from one breeder to another, and seemed that although he mated, he never sired a litter at any of their places.
Sure enough, I not only saw him mate, but caught the mating plug later on - and still no kits(the female he was with was a proven breeder) at my place. Kept him for three years(he was four years old when I got him) and finally found him a pet home after I had exhausted all efforts to get him to breed.

It's very rare though when you find a chinchilla like that. I got another chin from a breeder who was said to never have had babies(they were planning to pelt her, so I offered to give her a chance.), and when she came home with me, it was six or seven months later and she had her first baby. She was three years old when I got her, btw.

Back