Question about "rat-faced" chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
I'm just really curious about what a "rat-faced" chin would look like, lol. I always see people talking about them but I don't really know what a rat-faced one would look like particularly. Could anyone send me a picture of what a typical rat-faced chinchilla would look like?

Here are some I found on a google search. A rat-faced chin is basically a "wedgy" animal meaning if you look at them from above, their hips are wider than their shoulders and they have an elongated face. A high quality chin will have a blocky build and generally a more blunt nose and wider head/neck.

What I consider rat-faced or "ratty" chins:

chinchilla.jpg

chinchilla.jpg

Those chins also happen to be in desperate need of a dust bath.

My boy Groo is pretty "ratty" looking. He's a CL/rescue chin, so I have no doubt he comes from pet store chin parents.

DSC03394.jpg

So I think Chloe may be "rat-faced" from the descriptions above. Good question though, I was wondering myself exactly what one looked like.

Attachments

• bed4.jpg
    bed4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 121
I have a branching question.... are "rat faced" chins truly breeder 'rejects' of sorts, or are they still breed-able as long as they meet other criteria for features?

Costina-type animals are often very clear in color but may not have the best conformation and could potentially be "rat-faced" or slightly wedgy. As long as they were not seriously lacking in other qualities such as density, fur strength, etc., then it could be bred to a chin that makes up for that fault (a large, blocky animal).

Ok Sumi... I was just wondering because people seem to use the term "rat faced" as derogatory for chins more often than not.

Found one on petfinder......
Notice the long nose. However it looks cute with those faux eyelashes...:wink2:

Attachments

• Rat face from Petfinder.jpg
    Rat face from Petfinder.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 155
Found one on petfinder......
Notice the long nose. However it looks cute with those faux eyelashes...:wink2:

See, in that picture I can actually see the rat in the chin.

I love that pic of Handbag, Annie.

I personally don't have a preference whether a chin looks ratty or not, I have a feeling a lot of pet owners don't so I don't mind owning one. Really, it's the best of both worlds--you get a chin and a rat for the price of one!! But I do understand that breeders don't value those traits associated with ratty chins.

I just wanted to say that Handbag, Groo and Chloe are really, really cute. One day I want a rat faced boy as they seem to always need homes. Don't need a pedigree to be the perfect pet.

I just wanted to note that being rat faced is not necessarily a fault, it's the things that usually come with it that are such as very narrow front end and small size. Some breeders use ratty chins for certain traits, such as they can be a bluer animal and tend to be good quick breeders.

Actually to me, that one just looks malnourished. It's amazing what a little change in weight does to an animal. Note the flat face on it, a rat faced chin would have a long pointy snout.

To me that chin still seems rat-faced. Maybe I am just distracted by its hunched back. Would costina be closest to rat-faced?

See, I really don't view "rat faced" as a fault at all. First and foremost, I love rats; and I happen to think they're adorable. Second of all, I think my chinchilla's probably pretty rat-faced and that makes me love him even more lol. I get why so many people on this forum would look down on pet stores, but the fact that I bought my chinchilla from a local pet store, does that reflect on me poorly? I don't think it should; I think I'm a pretty well-informed owner that takes great care of Nietzsche- I just dislike the connotations that "rat-faced" tends to imply about the animal and its owner.

Latest posts

Back