Question about Male Hedgehogs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIs86

Okay, I'm getting a male hedgehog. (was really hoping for a girl).
I have a question regarding male "stuff".

Are the testicles always noticable on hedgies?

Hedgehog testicles are internal and not very noticeable unless you are looking at their abdomens. How often you notice them will totally depend on the hedgehog. I've had males that if you held the hedgehog up they would let their testicles hang down and they were more obvious, and others that kept them up inside their bodies more.

I guess it would depend on what you mean by "noticeable." For example, looking at Buckaroo's (male) and Satin's (female) undersides, I can definitely tell a difference and know that the pair of bumps on Buckaroo are testes. But it's not like he's a goat or anything... they don't hang, per se.

It totally depends on the hedgehog. For most, they are not obvious like a rats but compared to a female, there is more fullness down there. Some have an obvious bulge and my Freckles RIP in particular had large ones and his almost touched the ground when he walked.

There is a difference between hedgehog testicles and rat testicles. Even when noticeable, they aren't the big hangy stick out things like a rat has.

Back