Question about Chinchilla wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Parent

I've had Chinchy for a few months and I'm ****-bent on spoiling him. He's probably a year and a half old, and I was wondering if he'd know how to use a wheel if I got him one. I've heard from a few sites that if a chinchilla isn't introduced to them early on that they won't know what to do with them. Despite the chance that he might not know how to use it, I still find myself itching to get him one. Has anyone else had success with getting a chinchilla a wheel at this age?

A chin should have no problems learning how to use a conventional shaped wheel like the Chin Spin.

I've had all Flying Saucers and even my chin that was from a ranch and had never seen a wheel in her life caught on easily, but not all do.

I have wheels in 23 cages out of 25. I purchased chins from ranchers that are already over a year old. They love running on them. I have ED spins in these cages. I also have 12 Chin Spins that are still brand new in my garage.

Where do you get ED spins, I haven't heard of those yet. I'm probably going to get him a cheap wheel for now and see if he likes it, probably from Forchinate Chins (even though I know customer service is iffy) or another comparably cheap place, otherwise my husband will kill me. Then I'll save up for a Chin Spin if he likes it.

Ed doesn't make them any more. You might be able to find some use wheels on the forum or put an ad under "supplies wanted"

I think that younger chins are more adept to running on a more unconventional wheel like the flying saucer. I did tons of research online and found that the flying saucer was very good chin wheel which I bought. Jazmine was already about 2 years old then. She wouldn't touch it or even go on it even with treats for more than 2 seconds and was like that for a few months. When I realized she prob was never going to learn I just bought a chin spin and started running on it within a few days. Then we got Gucci who's less than a year. I thought it would be easier for him to learn so put the flying saucer in his cage. The first time I saw him run on it was a few days later. He absolutely loves it and runs on it all the time. So I guess it really just depends on the chin. I also think maybe if one chin knows how to and another chin sees they could learn if you had more than one chin.

Charlie loves his flying saucer!! Inca won't touch it, even after watching Charlie hit warp speed on it...I guess to each their own!!

Yeah, I think he'll probably get plenty of use out of a chin spin. Everything I've put in his cage he's loved and investigated immediately, except for the corner hammock I made for him a couple days ago. I'm sure he'll be able to figure a wheel out.

flying saucer wheel is supposed to be better for their backs, I have one in each of the cages and they all love it! Quality made too :)

As long as the wheel is at least 15" in diameter there should not be any problems to their backs, whether it's a chin spin, ed wheel, silver surfer or the cheaper metal wheel.

I've only seen the silver surfer in 14 in., does it come in 15, and if so, where?

Just as a warning about the wheel from Forchinate chins in case you aren't aware. I don't know where your chin is in your house, but those wheels are loud. I had one, and when a chin was running on it, you could hear it throughout my apartment. They also don't turn as nicely as the more expensive ones. I think if you're going to pay for the wheel and shipping, you might as well save up for a Chin Spin, but that's my opinion!

Good to know, his cage is in my bedroom, plus my apartment (which is in a house) might as well have paper walls, lol. So that wouldn't be a good thing.

For the people who've gotten the silver surfer, is it loud?

I have the Chin Spin, Flying Saucer, and Silver Surfer and I have to say I like the Silver Surfer the most. The huge size of the Chin Spins cause a lot of cage bar rattling. I have also had to replace the bearings in all of them 3 times now. The Silver Surfer is more narrow and light weight, so it does not cause the FN bars to rattle near as much. The only sound I hear is my chins' feet pattering on the metal as they run. I really like my Flying Saucer as well, but it still causes a bit of cage rattle..not near as much as the Chin Spin, though.

That's what I was thinking Essentia! Perhaps because it's the 14 inch? I don't know if it used to be more expensive though. Sounds like a good deal though.

I think there were around $70+ I'm not sure if it is the same size as before. Maybe it's on sell because it's purple and having a hard time selling that color.

Back