Question about breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am interested in breeding her, though have in no way committed to it, or am even seriously considering it, meaning i should not be berated via messages when all i wanted was answers to simple questions. thats what this forum is for, correct?

I don't think anyone here was purposefully trying to berate you, although I can see how it may come off that way. There are a lot of passionate people on this forum who really care about chinchillas and I think they're just trying to make sure you understand the seriousness of the situation. As the others have said, breeding is not something that should be taken lightly.

I hope that you will take the advice to heart, and really think it through and do tons more research before you make your decision.

Also, this post came off as a little bit arrogant:
does anyone know the answers to any of my questions? i know about making sure they are healthy, and from a good breeder, etc, i just need to know about what i originally posted.. thanks.

Perhaps you could try to have a more gracious attitude when people are taking the time to give you their valuable advice.

i am interested in breeding her, though have in no way committed to it, or am even seriously considering it, meaning i should not be berated via messages when all i wanted was answers to simple questions. thats what this forum is for, correct?

If all you wanted was answers to your questions from people who don't care about the well being of your pets, you posted on the wrong forum. This forum is a public forum and those of us that do post, post to help. That in no way means that we have to post exactly what you want to hear. Would you prefer we just answer your questions, let you go into breeding her and have her and her babies die? Personally, I would prefer knowing everything I can to make an educated decision about the life and potential lives I would be responsible for.

If you have gone so far as to research breeding and you are asking questions about breeding a specific female to a specific male, you have already seriously considered breeding them.

No one here is berating you. Everyone is sharing their experiences with the hope that you'll listen to their advice. If people on here come across as harsh, please try not to take it to heart. They really just want what's best for your chin. A lot of new members ask about breeding, don't get the answers they want to hear, and then disappear in anger. 111 days later, they're back with the same questions, only then they're in panic mode because they have 2 kits that are rapidly losing weight, a mom that won't nurse, a potential breedback, no spare cages, no critical care, a vet that doesn't specialize in chinchillas, etc. You get the point.

I think it's great that you're researching in advance, but breeding chinchillas isn't as cut and dry as the three questions you opened this thread with. What if I came to you and said "I wanna have a baby and I found the perfect dad! I'm just concerned about post-partum depression, whether the baby will be staying in my room or her own, and whether I'll be able to live with the dad after the baby's born or not." I'm sure you'd agree that some key concerns are clearly missing from my planning process. That's why everyone is asking you questions rather than just answering yours. The information you've provided does not tell people why you want to breed, what you already know, or what your desired end result is. If you attempt to have a discussion with people rather than treating them like human encyclopedias, I'm sure you'll find that your questions will be more well received.

The people on here really do know what they're talking about and as FutureDVM said, they're PASSIONATE about chins. You came to the right place for info, as there's no better group of people to learn from. You just need to be willing to provide as much information as possible and trust their advice.

Best of luck.

Not to mention the $1500 emergency c-sections. Those are fabulous! Breeding chins isn't easy...and it can be very expensive.

Besides the chin is 4 months old. She's not going to be ready for nearly a year. No plans should be made for the breeding of any 4 month old baby girl chinnies.

Where are all the mentors that usually pop up in these threads and defend the right of breeding, the "everyone has to start somewhere, give them a chance" club of mentors. Person had a question, it was answered, what more can be said.

as i said in my original post, i knew she wouldn't be ready for breeding for quite some time. and i only asked those three questions, because those are the ones i could not find answers to. i have done a lot of research, and therefore know about all the health risks, and pedigrees, and everything else that everyone is repeating over and over. i have absolutely no plans at this point to breed her, i am simply asking questions.

Happy you listened to everyone. As you have read, breeding is not to be taken litely.

What I am about to say is something I believe is as important as getting information on breeding.

When you are ready to do so, make sure you do your homework in choosing your mentor.

Their is the homework to be done as far as what breeding is all about, and homework in finding the responsible mentor for you.

I say this because, when I first wanted to breed, because living in the country I did not have internet and very limited access to information I went to a BYB. I did not know he was a BYB for all looked kosher. Likely I did not breed them. Life was good to me and I met someone who guided me to the right people for responsible breeding.

My goal when starting was to improve health and quality because my first two chinchillas bought from a pet store died at the age of 2 and 21/2 from genetic issues.

Be vigilent and don't be afraid to ask even if sometimes we don't like where the answers are going or making us feel. At least they are straight forward and true. I would trust them way before I trust the one that tells me everything is hunky dorry. See my point :)

Last edited:
Back