Question about breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emzy08

I have a little girl, who I am considering breeding. She's only four months, so I'm not going to do it for several months, if I do. I know the basics, but I just have a few questions I don't know about:

1) does the moms behavior change after having babies? I know some animals do, and skyy is such a sweet heart I wouldn't want to ruin her personality.

2) can mom live with a baby? Granted its a female, could she live with her daughter peacefully?

3) a lot of things say the parents should live together, but my roommate has the boy, would they have to cohabitat, or once she's pregnant can they be re separated?

Thanks!

Where did you get her? Where did your roommate get his? That's the first question. If they are not from reputable breeders, STOP.

What are you hoping to accomplish by breeding her?

If the chins aren't from good breeders then definetly don't breed them. There are soo many gentic issues chins can carry. Are you sure you want to risk your female life just to have kits? Its not all just cute babies, birthing complication are more common than you think. What color are the chins? Some colors can't be mixed. Please do your research before taking any steps.

Even experienced breeders often do not know whether or not a kit is "breeding material" at the age of 4 months old, and that is with knowing the genetics. You need to wait to see what qualities the chin possesses and then mate with a suitable partner that compliments those traits (and that's after knowing first and foremost that your chins have a clear genetic history). To decide to breed just because you have a cute female and your friend has a cute male is not a good argument. JMO

does anyone know the answers to any of my questions? i know about making sure they are healthy, and from a good breeder, etc, i just need to know about what i originally posted.. thanks.

I have a little girl, who I am considering breeding. She's only four months, so I'm not going to do it for several months, if I do. I know the basics, but I just have a few questions I don't know about:

1) does the moms behavior change after having babies? I know some animals do, and skyy is such a sweet heart I wouldn't want to ruin her personality.

2) can mom live with a baby? Granted its a female, could she live with her daughter peacefully?

3) a lot of things say the parents should live together, but my roommate has the boy, would they have to cohabitat, or once she's pregnant can they be re separated?

Thanks!

1) It depends on the chin.
2) It depends on the chins.
3) Nothing says the male has to live with the female, and keeping them together risks a breedback.

1.) Yes having babies can change the personality of a chin. I've seen chins who I thought were sweet wonderful animals turn into nasty biters during the pregnancy, mothering, and for years after. No one can see the future, its a risk every breeder takes.

2.)Chins can live with a friend for years, then turn around and rip that "friends" face and ears bloody for no apparent reason. Happens with mother/daughter and father/son pairs too. Also happens between a male trying to mate with a female.....often those "meetings" turn bloody. I would hate for your pets to lose eyeballs or ears or even limbs because you dont know this.

3.)Do they have to live together to mate? No. But the female does have to survive the pairing, which might not happen.

After you do decide to go ahead and mate your pets, despite all the warnings given, read down a couple threads. You'll see my post on a baby who might not make it. Ask yourself if you have the time, money, and resolve to handfeed a kit or kits every 2 hours around the clock. That part should change your mind if everything else doesnt.

Also wanted to point out your female could turn on and kill or seriously maim your friend's male so you both should be prepared to deal with that possibility.

It is not considered normal practice to "stud" a male chin like you might with a dog for this particular reason. They may take months to get along to even allow him in the cage and then months to breed. It's not a put them together and then I get babies type of process.

Right, for anyone who's studded dogs...it's NOTHING like that. Dogs, come into heat (which is generally easily noticeable) go through several stages and, when receptive, generally let any male breed them.

Chins, you usually can't tell when they're in heat...can take months or years to have a successful pairing and will not just let any old male breed them even when they are in heat.

does anyone know the answers to any of my questions? i know about making sure they are healthy, and from a good breeder, etc, i just need to know about what i originally posted.. thanks.

If you have done any research at all regarding breeding, you would know the answers to those questions. This is why we ask the other questions, because what you're about to do sounds like a bad idea.

There are certain "red flags" that go off when we see posts asking breeding questions. Just because you and your roomate each have healthy chinchillas of opposite genders does not mean they should be bred. You mentioned not wanting your female's behavior to change...are you prepared to lose her and/or her kits to breeding complications. There is so much that can go wrong during pregnancy and birth that it's a miracle when anything goes right. If you value your female as a pet and you want to ensure she has a chance at a long, healthy life...don't breed her.

I've lost a lot of my favorite females over the years to breeding complications. I don't recommend anybody risk their pets for a litter of cute babies.

There is so much that can go wrong during pregnancy and birth that it's a miracle when anything goes right. If you value your female as a pet and you want to ensure she has a chance at a long, healthy life...don't breed her.

THIS!!! It is an absolute miracle that it ever does go right. I've had vets tell me that so many times, it is true for dogs cats, horses, rodents, etc. The risk to the life of the mother animal is so great in pregnancy and delivery.

Keep happy, healthy pets and stay away from breeding. Sometimes I wish that I had considering all the heartbreak, expense and effort that I have had to go through. Let other people take that on, keep your as chins pets and be happy.

(Be angry and upset all that you want at us for saying this. But, later on if you do have a problem, you will wish that you had listened.)

My rescue chin Mira surprised me twelve hours after coming home with three kits. Her previous owner had said she might be pregnant. I was in total panic mode. I luckily had joined the forum in September when I brought my first two boys home. Mira had two little boys and a little girl. One of the boys was losing weight in the first two days after birth. I began rotating the kits so he would be able to nurse. This went on for two weeks. All the while I had an injured ankle and could hardly walk :p. Luckily the male began gaining weight normally and nursing with his siblings. Mira took things over after that. I hovered over her cage everyday, and still do. Her kits are actually due to be weaned this week. I never even considered the cost if she "might" have been pregnant. I honestly didn't think she was when I adopted her. I easily spent $300-400 in the first week alone on a baby safe cage and supplies for three unexpected kits. They were and still are quite destructive. It's easily cost me around $500 from the time Mira gave birth until now on the kits. Mira herself was free. Luckily neither Mira nor the kits had any major problems. I would never breed on purpose, nor do I want to experience another pregnancy. I love the kits, and they are adorable, but I never would have wished for then.

I'm going to guess this is all falling on deaf ears as the OP hasn't been on since the 21st. Good advice is being given, but as we see so many times, it just isn't taken.

i have just been busy and haven't been on. thanks to everyone who answered my questions!

and i'd like to point out i never once said i was going to breed her, i was just finding out information.

Questions are definitely ok! But there is a lot of responsibility when breeding, and most people want to breed questionable chins together just because they think the kits are cute, and that's why a lot of people on here get nervous as to why questions are being asked. Ask questions, research and learn. That is what it is all about. Just make sure you listen to the people who have been there and done that. They really do know and care what they are talking about.

I have a little girl, who I am considering breeding.

You may not have said you were 100% on breeding your girl, but this along with the questions geared specifically towards her, breeding, and your friends male lets us know that you have given it quite a bit of consideration. If you were uninterested in breeding her, why post a thread asking about it?

i am interested in breeding her, though have in no way committed to it, or am even seriously considering it, meaning i should not be berated via messages when all i wanted was answers to simple questions. thats what this forum is for, correct?

Back