PVC tubes bad for chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessla

I wanted to either make or buy a fleece-covered tube for my chinchillas. And I found one website that makes the tubes with metal tubes, and another that makes them with PVC tubes. Obviously the PVC tubes are cheaper, but then I read that they're bad for chinchillas:

pvc contains dangerous chemical additives: phthalates, lead, cadmium, organotins; phthalates can even be absorbed through the skin and cause hormonal imbalances, allergies, cancer

Obviously if that's the case, it's worth paying the extra few dollars for a steel tube. But I just wanted to check the facts here before I make my final decision.

I've used white PVC pipe for years and never had a problem with it. I don't cover it, I just get the really large pieces and let them use them to hide in.

if they are fleece covered, they cant get to it anyway. many members use the pvc without incident.

like tunes, i have some straigh & elbow pvc in a few of the boys cages and they LOVE it.

except my naughty little arlington boys, one started gnawing on it, so i had to remove it.

PVC is ok as long as your chins do not chew it. i have 6 PVC tubes for my 9 chins and none of them chew it. I have seen a couple chinchillas that do chew through the fleece and the tube so in that case metal would be better.

Do you know what kind of metal they use? Better yet what is the website?

I have PVC pipes for my chins and they chew the edges. I've never had a problem with it. I also know a rancher that has used PVC for over 40 years with no ill health effects to the chins.

I also use and sell pvc covered tubes. I've never had an issue. The issue would be if your chin was ingesting a bunch of the pvc. It's the same with fleece. Then why don't they post the hazards of fleece as well? Fleece is polyester, and made from a petroleum based product. So if you're scared of pvc, you'd have to be scared of fleece too.

I ended up ordering the metal to be on the safe side. It's steel. The website is:

http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/

It was a $15 difference with shipping for two tubes, so I figured better to spend a few extra dollars just in case.

Back