prolapse + kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whimsy

I woke up early this morning to find that my sapphire girl with 6 week old kits had prolapsed.
She's at the vet's office now for surgery and is to be spayed.

The kits are younger than I would normally wean, but are healthy, robust and all weigh very close to 200 grams each already.
She'll be on metacam and probably antiboitics. I understand that can cross over into her milk.

For this I am wondering, is this enough of a medical reason why I would not want to return her to the kits?

I'd really rather return her to the comfort of her babies....
Please advise.

If she is on metacam, no the babies cannot be with her. It's not safe for a nursing or pregnant mother to be given metacam because it can transfer to the babies. Since the babies are healthy enough to be weaned, you should just wean them early.

I would be concerned about the prolapse, the cause of it. It could be feed issues or some infections and parasites promote the chances of prolpase.

I would wean the kits, no matter how much she loves her babies, she'll be glad for the quiet and needs all of her energy to recover.

I suspect there may have been retained bits of something left over after the birth of her kits. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is 6 weeks post delivery a long time for something like this to happen?
At any rate, the mama is home now, but is NOT doing well.
Please send healing thoughts this way.

was it a rectal prolapse or a uterine prolapse? From your description above, I assumed it was a uterine prolapse. If so, it can happen anytime after the kits are born, before they are weaned. If the birth put anything "off" in the uterus, the suckling from the kits will eventually cause the uterus to prolapse. When a baby nurses it causes the abdominal muscles to contract slightly which obviously will create problems in a uterus that doesn't heal properly. Spaying "fixes" uterine prolapses.

If she had a rectal prolapse, it was probably food related or some other problem that you need to look into.

Was definately uterine prolapse.

Interesting thing, this is my second experience with prolapse in two years. Both times with the sapphire mutation.

At any rate, the mama is home now, but is NOT doing well. Please send healing thoughts this way.
Will do, but what is wrong? Perhaps someone here can help you with her if they know what's going on now. Have you contacted the vet about her current condition?

Good luck. Sapphires are just usually so poorly bred they seem to have more issues. People breed them because they are "rare" and don't breed to improve. so they get worse. Sapphires have actually gone down hill from where they were years ago.

Prolapses suck and are hard to survive So good luck

The vet said she did not wake up from surgery as she would have liked.
She's lethargic and not as active as I would have expected.
I hand fed her critical care, but I recognize the signs of a chin who is...not likely to make it.

I understand the weakness of the sapphire mutation. But she came from very good lines. I was working to improve this line with a Shoots male. The babies are gorgeous, but poor mama just may be leaving her legacy.

*update*

I am totally shocked that Xanadu is pulling through this.
She's now eating Critical Care readily and without force feeding. She's drinking on her own, and is pooing good sized and formed pellets.

We're working on a video update on our website. There you can see pictures of the prolapse and the clips of her recovery.

Whoo hoo!
Go Xanadu!

that is wonderful news! Thanks for the update. I will keep pulling for her to continue to get better. She must be quite the fighter!

She looks 1,000 times better in the second half of that video. You can definitely tell she is still weak, but look at her go on that food. Fantastic news!

We have another video update on Xanadu. :)
The clip was taken yesterday morning. By last night she was demanding to get OUT of her carrier. So we put her in an empty FN without ledges. In a few more days she may be healed enough to return her to the chin room with her friends.
Xanadu is quite a trooper!

For anyone who is interested, her three kits have been doing just dandy. I opened their CN and now they're sharing a double with two older kits from a previous weaning.

Back