Probios - alternative to Bene Bac

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's basically the same thing as bene bac except it has whey, corn starch and sodium alumino silicate in it instead of vegtable oil, color, silicon dioxide and hydroquinone. Has the same concentration of bacteria in it.

Last edited:
Thanks that is very interesting. I went to the grocery and they had probiotic capsules in 1, 2 or 3 billion. Which one is best and is it based on weight? Also was there a study done or something that proved the chins needed that high of an amount? I made an appointment with my vet for Wednesday so I can pick her brain about this and other remedies used in different situations like the activated charcoal and the pet pectillin. I am making a list so if you think of anything else used just let me know.

Dr. Burton who has his own practice that includes exotics and works for the Columbus Zoo said you can over do the probiotics that's why he prescribes probios. I haven't talked to my main chin vet about it yet.

I know it is commonly said on the forums that probiotics cannot be over done (and I initially thought so too) but they definitely can. They can cause soft stools if overdosed. As a once a week maintenance dose, they would cause soft stools each time they were given, which would eventually clear up after a day or so. They also showed up in a fecal test as an extremely high number of rod-shaped bacteria. A little is helpful but too much can cause soft stool also.

Now mind you I don't do kits, but my opinion is I would not use a probiotic on a 3-6 month old kit, their digestive tract is populating bacteria on its own, the bacteria we give is not the same bacteria that chinchillas have naturally and I would be leary of populating a young chins digestive tract with foreign bacteria that could take over the natural bacteria and what the long term implications are-this is just in my mind based on squat.

The vet prescribed probios for a 12 week old and he is an expert with exotics with the Columbus Zoo. It is the probios formulated for small animals not the dog cat kind. I just want to know who is right?! I guess I will talk to my main vet Wednesday and probably get a different answer from her too.

I recall seeing a rancher give Probios to his show string he brought to the CO Show. I have personally never used Probios specifically though.

The vet prescribed probios for a 12 week old and he is an expert with exotics with the Columbus Zoo. It is the probios formulated for small animals not the dog cat kind. I just want to know who is right?! I guess I will talk to my main vet Wednesday and probably get a different answer from her too.

How come the vet prescribed probiotics for a 12 week old kit? What's going on with it?
I agree with Dawn, I wouldn't be giving them to a young animal unless there is a necessity for it...

It doesn't seem like it should be used unless the chins are taking an antibiotic or had surgery, etc. I wouldn't want to give them anything extra unless they need it. I definitely don't want to over due it with probiotics, I would just like to find a weight ratio that determines how much they should be given when needed.

It's a customer's baby and it tested positive for coccidia (symptons: mushy poop). So, he prescribed albon once a day for 10 to 14 days and also probios (to restore good bacteria?) Not to be given at the same time.

I went to the vet today and she said not to give the human probiotics because our gut flora is not the same as a chinchillas gut flora? She also said they do not need probiotics for albon because it is so mild, but it wouldn't hurt. She said to only use products that are made for small animals. She was also against using the activated charcoal for the upset tummy. She said if 2 days of just loose timothy hay doesn't cure mushy poop, then get them tested and they probably just need albon. She also said that it's best to give large amounts of the natural hay products and just a little bit of pellets. I do give alot of hay and my guys are notorious for wasting most of their pellets so I guess that has worked out to be a positive thing except for the money I am spending on pellets.

We've been using Probios for quite some time now. Whenever we have a chin who is new, stressed, or showing signs of squisy poos, the cookie form with probiotics added are usually a welcome treat. Actually, the extra boost for stressed chins has worked out so well that we carry Probios cookies in our store.

I pick up and keep a tube of horse probiotics in my fridge. I will look when I get home to see the brand

Back