Prayers needed & some easy food suggestions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight has been such a bittersweet experience. I went with my mom & another family member to see my cousin. She is getting better by leaps & bounds, I cant honestly believe it. Shes come SO far, yet has such an incredible journey ahead of her. She leaves tomorrow to be transported to chicago for her therapy. They are going to start her on 3 hour therapy for now, give or take what she CAN take.

I debated with myself ALL day long if i was honestly going to go or not.(really been debating for three weeks to go) I want sure if i was ready to see that & or if she would want me there. I decided i needed to and with her leaving for chicago, i wasnt sure how often i'd get a chance to see her.

I went, im pretty happy with my choice, although i do have a weird happy/sad feeling running through me.

On one hand, she is so incredibly lucky to be alive, but on the other, i see how far she has to go and how helpless this has made her. We dont care if this is what we get, shes there, but we really crave for her to regain everything & we arent sure what she will retain & how long this battle will be. The not knowing is the hardest. Its not going to be easy to relearn everything you once knew.. and as the docs said sometimes it changes who they are. They also said it could be another 6 months before the brain totally repairs that bleed, which means she wont regain those nerve endings until then if she will. Its all so confusing & something i wont ever be able to understand. She was a gym teacher for goodness sake, healthy, caring, you name it.

Im happy i went, because she does seem a lot better than i had visioned, granted, its still no walk in the park. She didnt ended up getting the trake, so that in itself is great news & less room for infection to happen!

She was very happy when we got there, she had just woken up. She smiled a half a smile & raised her eye browse when excited. She loves my mom, so anything she said was great. I will admit i found it hard to talk to her, but eventually did. I just wasnt sure what to say or how to say it. I dont want her to feel spoken down to. I dont really know how to explain. My mom & other cousin could like it was nothing, then again they have seen her through all the stages, so perhaps its easier with time.

Her husband took their kids up to see her tonight as it will be hard to get them back & forth to chicago for a few ours very often. She & the kids did well with it, i wasnt there though of course. She was all smiles & the kids were pleased from what i hear.

Its so weird how there she is, yet, isnt. I dont know how to explain.

Im sure tonight as im trying to go to sleep i will cry, but deep down, im still happy i went. It was the right thing.

Sorry if this is jumbled, i have a lot running through my mind.

Last edited:
OMG Kate, this seriously breaks my heart. As a mother I would hate not being able to see my children grow up. And her poor children are probably worried sick about her! I hope she recovers quickly and is able to move on with her life. :(

btw- are you back home now or still in chicago?? if you're still in IL shoot me a pm :p

We are planning on getting a large group of family together to go visit her again soon. She & her husbands wedding anniversary is coming up next month, so we thought about having a "party" in her room to celebrate! (IF shes feeling up to it.)

Its been a while since i last updates & BOY do i have updates! (And great ones at that!)

Melanie has been making SO much progress on a daily (or to be technical an hourly) basis! She has been walking the parallel bars every day, has been upgraded to a solid food diet with only two tube feedings a day. Shes also started to speak, but its only very quiet whispers. She needs to relearn how to use her breaths to get the words out louder. For now they are just working with her to mouth things as that in itself will help. Shes doing SO much therapy 3 hours a day & from what her sister tells Mel crashes out right when they leave her alone.

She has been using her right side a lot more, but there is still a lot of work left. She has amazed even the doctors who are now being real & stating they honestly didnt think she would make it!

She had another scan done early this week & its showing that the bleed is STILL shrinking, but has a long way yet. (It was the size of a golf ball or more.)

She lights up whenever anyone mentions the kids & they are really what shes fighting for. I feel badly that shes missing out on so many milestones that her youngest is accomplishing. And the other two actually. Her oldest just had his preschool graduation last night, but we made sure to have it taped so she can watch it. They are taking the kids up there this weekend for the long weekend, so she will be thrilled!

I know im leaving a ton of good news out, but boy, i really honestly wasnt sure how this thread was going to end. Its definitely not over yet, but keeps getting better & better. I cant wait until i can post that she has gotten to go home!

Kate, that is amazing news. At the rate she is improving, I can only continue to hope and pray she makes a full recovery. Best wishes.

I know I am late posting this. I am so sorry your family is having to go through this! It sounds like you will have a happy ending. Your cousin is lucky to have such a strong supportive family. If you are unsure what to do for her, there is a wonderful book called
"My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor

It's an amazing book written by a neuroanatomist who is also a stroke survivor. In particular, in the end of the book she provides a list of forty things a stroke survivor needs from the people around them. I hope this helps.

We will keep you and your family in our prayers!

Back