Possible international move. Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently in an international relationship, I'm in the US and my boyfriend is in New Zealand. Things are starting to get pretty serious, and he wants me to move in with him. The biggest thing that's stopping me is that i have three wonderful furbunnies! I've been researching ways to get them there, but last night i read something about how you can only bring your chin to NZ if you're from the UK. Has anyone else ever heard this, or does anyone have any experience with this? I'm really not willing to give them up. :tantrum:

For whatever stupid reason, countries overseas seem to think that chinchillas from here are running rampant with rabies. The UK apparently has no rabies, so it's fine to bring animals from there. It is very hard to bring chins from this country to another country. It's also tremendously expensive. The only thing you can do is check with the proper authorities in New Zealand and ask, but I'm about 99.99% sure that that you will not be able to take your furkids along with you.

Moving animals overseas isn't easy. You'll really have to look into customs/agricultural laws to see, but I have heard of that limitation.

is Weng still around on this board? He moved his chins from US to Singapore.

He had to jump through about a bazillion hoops and Singapore doesn't have the UK restriction that New Zealand does.

Back