Poo stuck in fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurricanered17

Chinchilla Lover
My husband and I did a lot of research before Santa brought a chinchilla for me and my daughter Ivy. She's 8 and very mild-mannered, does very well with the chinchilla, whom she named Izzy. We took care to get the right food and hay, so she does not eat the Kaytee food that's full of treats or anything like that.

Our problem is that she has gotten a few pellets of her poo stuck in her fur. Ivy does not feed or handle her without an adult present, so she's not getting extra treats. My question is, how do we get it out of her fur? The dust bath hasn't done anything except turn the fecal pellets grayish white. Will they eventually fall out on their own, or do we need to remove them from her fur FOR her?

imo if the poo is sticking to her something wrong is going on.
my chinchillas poo is never sticky enough to actually get stuck on them

why don't you give of a rundown off all the things you have for her(including name brand) and we can make sure it is all safe.

when exactly did you get her? you really don't want to do any handling for at least a week or so, for her to settle in and get comfortable with her new house, so her poop could just be soft b/c she is stressed out.

My boys gets caught on there fur every once in awhile, it just hangs on their fur They roll around in the dust from their chew rock or from when I let them out of their bath jar and sometimes it just gets caught at exactly the right angle. It falls off as soon as I touch it. It's never stuck. If it is smooshed in there then there is something wrong like chins1222 said.

She got Izzy for Christmas, so the chin is still adjusting to its new home, hence the sticky poos.

If the poos continue to stick, get some acidolphilus and sprinkle it over her food. You can use your fingers to gently pull the poo off. If some fur comes with the poo, don't worry. Chins slip fur as a self defense mechanism. It doesn't hurt them.

Back