Please help me and my Chinchilla!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

In the past 2 weeks I have noticed my chinchilla sneezing. I thought it was due to her dust bath so I thought nothing of it. But, this has been a continuous thing and is still going on, it is NOT cause of the dust bath as I have kept it away from her for a few days and she is still sneezing. I have also noticed her wheezing as she breathes. She isn't wheezing all the time that she is breathing it is mostly when she is excited (waiting to be let out of her cage etc).

She is eating and drinking as normal, active outside the cage too. I'm really worried about her, I'm thinking it could be pneumonia after reading some information online. I've had her for 5 years, her previous owners did not handle her at all, I have tried handling her in the time we have had together but she still refuses to be held. She is calm and will let you touch her but she goes insane when you try to pick her up. I'm hoping this isn't as drastic as pneumonia because getting her to a vet will stress her out A LOT because of her not liked to be held. Please someone help me out :(

I forgot to mention: She shares the cage with her son (he has been castrated) he is about 3 years old and he is completely fine, no wheezing or sneezing from him!

A respiratory infection can kill a chin quite quickly. You need to get her to a vet as soon as possible. Use a piece of fleece or a towel to corner and catch her with as little chasing as possible.

Just got back from the vet, he said he can't see any "obvious" signs, but that we should treat it as a uri. I have to give her medicine daily and keep an eye on her.

What antibiotic are you using? Some of them like Baytril can cause the chin to stop eating. Hope it clears up quickly.

It is Baytril, she hasn't taken any tonight. Should I still give her some medicine tomorrow?

With antibiotics, it is important to follow directions. Usually it is twice a day spaced out 12 hours apart. You want to keep the level up so no resistant bacteria can emerge. Just watch her eating and poops. If either starts to change, you may have to hand feed until the antibiotics are done.

Yeah followed the instructions, I also read that with Baytril it's best to give your chinchilla a treat or something tasty after they take the Baytril to get rid of the taste. She took her meds no problem and is running around the room as we speak :)

Back