playpen

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poofybutt412

I was thinking of getting a play pen for my chins to play in...this my sound dumb but wont they climb/jump up the sides and get out?! also, what kind of play pen is recommended?
thank you

None of my three have jumped out yet and they're in theirs every night. That's not to say they cannot or will not at some point, but so far, so good. I hook two together to give them more room to run. Mine is a Ware and the horizontal bars are far apart to prevent climbing. Just get one (or two) made for small animals so the spacing is right.

Not sure if a baby gate is the same height as a play pen but one of my chins can jump over a baby gate so I would not personally be able to use a play pen. :cool:

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

The proper chinchilla sized playpens are about 29 inches high, much taller than the baby gate I have for the dogs. It would be nice if they would make them like the dog ones that come in different heights. I would feel more comfortable with 48" tall. If the bar spacing wasn't different, I would just get one of the dogs ones.

My chin has had a playpen attached to her cage for the last 4 years and has never tried to jump out. Until recently. She got out during the night. So after 4 years, I now have to shut her in her cage at night. During the day she still has not made an attempt to jump out. I am home for the most part and she sleeps most of the day away. If she starts planning a daytime escape, though, I will have to get a cover for her pen, which is the safest option anyway. I think some people line their pens with tall sheets of cardboard.

There was a picture on a thread here somewhere, someone had a regular playpen, but attached C&C panels to the top of each of the playpen panels. I can't remember what thread or who it was though.

I actually asked this same question about a month ago when Groupon had a deal for a playpen. I was directed towards a Ware Pop-up Playpen for use.

I bought the Large WARE pop-up playpen a couple of weeks ago and have used it 3 times already. It's large enough to put a couple of toys in for your chin to play with while they are in there. It also has a built-in water holder spot. One of the main reasons I decided to go with this one rather than something else was that it can easily be transported and setup so when I go visit my family Gizmo can still have playtime without having to worry about chin-proofing any rooms.

Just another suggestion!
~Michelle

I would never leave chins unattended for a long period of time inside a playpen. I only use with the chins when I clean cages and the playpen is in the same room as I am. I've had my Ware pop-up playpen with a zippered mesh cover for about 4 years now and it's still in pretty good condition. The overall dimensions of the large playpen that I use is 50"x50"x32".

I agree with Sandi to never leave your chins unattended, but I borrowed her idea for the Ware pop-up playpen and it is wonderful! My chins loved trying to escape from the old playpen I had, and with this one they cannot get loose! I am always in the room with them, but it's great for cleaning cages because I don't have to worry about anyone escaping while I'm cleaning.

I got the Marshall Ferret Playpen Deluxe gate system, two sets, and I just lined my whole room with them. It keeps them off the baseboards and furniture, and only one girl has ever managed to get over it, and that was with the help of my Critter Castle. :p

^^ Yes, it is.

Just a note of caution, I remember one member here posted a few years ago that one of her chins chewed a hole big enough to escape this playpen. I will tell you that the only way that will happen is if the chin is left in there "unsupervised" and for a super long period of time.

The zipper top on my Ware pop-up no longer works, but I cover the playpen with a fleece blanket (the sides are mesh so there is plenty of ventilation.) The chins don't try to jump out as long as the top is covered.

I also have the Marshall Playpen around the areas of the room I don't wan't them to get to and its fantastic. Although one of my girls can jump that high she usually doesn't even try. I stay in with them while they are out and I can tell when she gets it in her head to try to jump and then I just divert her attention.

its not dumb, i got a play pen for my chinchillas and i got mine from petco. you could even use a baby gate but make sure your chinchillas can not squeeze threw the holes.

Back