Playing Dead

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevvy

Is this a quirk of my chin or some weird natural behavior?

Recently, Radar has taking to playing dead when he's scolded or looking for attention. For example, when he's out... if he escapes his little play areas and starts to jump on/nibble on/etc something that he's not supposed to I'll yell out loudly while going to retrieve him. Most often he just bolts and starts a game of tag... but more and more he's started to stand up on his hind legs and then dramatically fall over onto his side. And then he just lays there like he's dead. If I leave him alone (don't pick him up, don't continue making loud noise, and so forth), he'll bounce up and be off again.

And now he does this in his cage, when you go over to see him. It's a big cycle of run to the door, run away, play dead, run to the door, run away, play dead, run to the door. And at this point if I haven't taken him out he's looking at me like "well, what are you waiting for?" but that's another thing entirely, lol.

Personally, I think it's absolutely adorable but it is a little random and odd. It reminds me of the fainting goats, actually.

Wow I have not experienced this-but as long as its healthy-I wish I could! I'd love to have people over and show them my "trained" chinchilla who plays dead for me :)

Did you get your question answered, Sevvy? I didn't mean to sound negative; perhaps I misread your description? I have never heard of a chinchilla falling over like that unless it was something serious, but I am not that experienced. Maybe a video would help? I would definitely question it, either on here or with a vet (or both).

I think a video would help, in case it is something serious. Guess I misread that, sorry. I did watch a video the other day about some kittens that did that like the fainting goats you mentioned and that was a neurological problem. You should get that checked to make sure. Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

I don't think its funny, it sounds like he is having seizures or has a neurological disorder.

Agreed. Chins aren't dogs, it sounds like he has something neurological going on. Since you said you "yell loudly" and he does it when he gets excited, it may be setting off a seizure...

Sorry for the delay, my computer was out of commission for a few days.

In any event, I'll try to take video the next time I can but he's not having a seizure. Partial or Complex, there's no sign of salivations, shaking, rigidity, loss of awareness, excessive abnormal sounds, spinning (though I think this only occurs in the red eye mutations, no?), twitching, etc. The same for a neurological disorder, he's not displaying any of the classic symptoms for broad spectrum neurological disorders.

He's very much aware of what's around him when he does it. Not to say that there isn't an underlying issue, but he doesn't seem to be displaying anything. I did contact my vet over it, but she doesn't think there's a need to bring him in.

Thoughts?

without seeing how he truly reacts it is hard to give any thoughts. hopefully he is just a super genius chin and knows how to work you over and its not anything nurological.
i know you said you yell and people use that term loosly but since chinchillas probably will not respond to a loud yell in a positive manner, i would probably come up with something else.

Latest posts

Back